Need Projector Advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Fusion, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Marc Fusion

Marc Fusion Agent

I've got a good sized finished basement and would love to put a good projector system down there. I would say distance from screen should be anywhere between 8-20 feet, so I have a few questions. This is my first front projector system, so please offer projector, screen advice and as far as money, I can spend some decent bucks, but I don't want to double the mortgage. If you have any advice, please lend a word or two . [​IMG]

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Marc. If you dont mind, I'm going to move this post to the "Display Devices". I think you will get better response there rather than in the basics area. [​IMG]

3. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

CRT people will tell you that CRT is the only way to go because of the lack of any screen door effect and blacks which are really and truly black. In fact I doubt many people who know what they are talking about would really try and argue that any DLP or LCD projector is as good image-quality wise as a decent and properly set-up CRT.
    Now, CRT's are big and heavy (some in excess of 200 lbs). They are usually noisy and require significant set-up time and effort. They can be cantankerous machines with many drawbacks when compared to the convenience of a DLP or LCD projector. But the image...
    Because of the emergence of cheap and convenient digital projectors, lots and lots of businesses, schools, government institutions, etc. are converting their boardroom presentation systems to digital and there are a LOT of used CRT's on the market cheap cheap cheap. It's not uncommon to find units which sold in the $20,000 - $30,000 range for less than 10% of that - and this is from a reputable dealer who will support the thing after the sale.
    If you want to explore this route I'd recommend you hop over to the avScience forum http://www.avsforum.com and read through the CRT projectors bulletin board there. Anything you could possibly ask is already answered there.

4. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

If you don't mind the setup (it takes patience but isn't difficult) and can live with a modest sized screen (under 8' wide) you need a CRT projector.

No screen door, no halos, no rainbows, no scaling artifacts - just a nice film-like image.

Something with electromagnetic focus, 8 or 9" tubes, and liquid coupling would be ideal. If you're not getting a very low mileage projector which has _0_ wear you might want something for which new tubes are affordable (8" NEC tubes) or rebuilds are available (The MEC tubes used in Electrohomes and many Barcos can be rebuilt by VDC) in case the last owner ran the raster too small or the wear pattern is upside down.

Take a look at avsforum, and give Curt Palme and/or Eric Lang a call.

5. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Marc, there is no perfect projector. Each system and each brand has it's strengths and weaknesses. The best thing to do is learn what those are.

As pointed out above, the AVS Forum is a great learning place. There are some very knowlegeable folks there. And, they're very helpful.

Another place for information that can be helpful is Projector Central.

You have to accept the fact that certain people on the forums are very biased towards certain types of projectors. This is only natural, after all, they did their research and bought what they believed to be best for them. It's different for everyone. Frankly, if I were replacing my projector today, I don't know what I'd buy.

As pointed out previously, you need to consider budget, technical skill, ambient light levels, desired screen size, program material, usage, etc.

Among the LCD and DLP projectors that are currently getting a lot of attention is the InFocus ScreenPlay 110, Sanyo PLC-XP21N, SharpVision XV-Z9000U,Sanyo PLV60HT, and the Marantz VP-12S1. The NEC LT150, a lower cost projector also seems to be very popular. The CRT world is something I can't comment on as I have no familiarity with it.

There's one thing I am certain of....once you go the front projector route, there's no turning back.

I hope this might help point you a little in the right direction towards a research path.

Deane

6. Marc Fusion

Marc Fusion Agent

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice! I think I'd rather go with the simpler type of system, given that this is going to be a limited use setup. I have plans to use it for entertaining guests and watching movies with the family, but most of the time, I'd be upstairs with my Toshiba 65H81, since it is in the living room. This is more for those times when nothing can interfere, just me and the movie, if that makes sense. Cost is not too much of an issue, but like I said, I don't want to go bankrupt on the deal. About how much could I get a very good or great projecter & screen for? I'm way off my bases in this area, so if I knew a ballpark, I might be able to hone in what fits in there better.

7. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Marc:
    The Screenplay 110 has an MSRP of $4999. The others mentioned are a little higher by anywhere from $1,500 to $3,000. The NEC LT150 is less, I think it may be going for less than $3,000, but I'm not sure.
    You're going to have to do some research and gain some knowledge in order to set your system up so you are happy. Of course, you can literally sit the thing on a coffee table and point it at a white wall and get a darn good picture, but then you're going to want to go further. It's a good idea to know what "further" is in your case before you begin. I did that very thing, sitting it on a table between our chairs, pointing it at a white wall. It's still there, now mounted to the wall, but here's what "further" ended up meaning in our case.
    http://www.kathiejohnson.com/HomeTheater.html
    I think you have the right idea on usage. These things aren't the best idea for casual viewing. RPTVs work better for that. FPTV puts you in the "theater" mode and is tremendously enjoyable. We watch a movie every single night of the week. I find nothing of interest on TV, especially having no interest in sports (not even the Huskers), so it's always movies.
    If you'll look at the DLP/LCD section, along with the Theater Construction, and Screens sections of AVS Forum, you'll have a much better feel for what you might like to do, and what questions you might want to find answers for.
    Deane