What's new

Need Pricing help - what's a good price for Rel Storm III in the U.S.? (1 Viewer)

DanielG

Agent
I'm thinking seriously about buying a Rel Storm III and wanted to get a sense of where pricing shakes out. The list is $1995 (wood finish, black is a bit cheaper) and it seems the few dealers I have talked to are not particularly willing to discount at all let alone the typical 10-20% that is often offered up on audio equipment.

Any recent experience (and Tweeter doesn't count because they don't sell them any more)?

Thanks in advance.

--Dan

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
A few members here own (or have owned) the Storm III. I would solicit their impressions before I plunked down $1,500+ on a 150 watt sub with a 10" driver and a single TL port. I have read some not so favorable comments from owners about audible port noise and distortion starting at around the 25 Hz mark.

I assume your application involves at least some HT use, and I think there are better (and equally attractive) vented subs out there for the same or less money.

DanielG

Agent
Edward,

I've actually done a lot of reading on various boards, numerous reviews and talking with a number of dealers that sell both the Rel and other great brands. For instance, I talked to one dealer who sells the Velodyne DD series and high end B&W and they basically said that in their view and listening experience it was a "no brainer" to get the Rel for music over the best of the Velodyne and B&W at the same price point - from what I have listened to it was also quite clear. Of course, I need to try it at home in multiple applications to verify my feeling for it, but thus far it has been a very clear choice (particularly since the point of my most recent system is music, though I will watch some movies on it). From various comments I am a little concerned about its performance in HT setups and will experiment, but I don't need booming bass or huge overwhelming bass on special effects - I want accuracy. However, I have listened to soundtracks at the dealer with much satisfaction. I have to say that having listened to the Storm produce low symphonic strings and the lowest pipe organ with incredible detail, accuracy and fullness of sound with the most incredible integration with the front speakers I am very very impressed - there was no doubt that in addition to hearing the great lows from the music you could feel it.

Quite frankly if I gain the 10-20% that I belive I do in 2-channel music, I don't care if I lose even 5-10% in HT effects - value to me lies in integration and accuracy and not force for this particular system (while many may suggest SVS which I did consider, I had to rule out a SVS comparison because their high end's larger size presented a significant problem not to mention the higher price once you add applification).

--Dan

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
If you like the REL sound - great - they have a following, that's for sure. It would be nice to see more objective test data on the REL products, though - because there is really nothing magical about the REL design that makes it more "accurate" than any other well designed subwoofer.

Accuracy is the absence of deviation from source material. Harmonic distortion, intermodulation distortion, frequency response anomalies, phase (time) delays, and overhang/ringing can all be considered deviations from the source.

The most "accurate" subwoofer would be one that is the most faithful to the source material and minimizes all these things, which of course can all be objectively measured.

If you've ruled out SVS - fine, but for the record they do make a wood finished powered sub (the PB1-Plus) that will cost less than the REL - http://www.svsubwoofers.com/news.htm

I would also look hard at the following alternatives:

Acoutic Visions Kilimanjaro:
http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco...imanjaro.shtml

Stryke Mini-Thunder (requires external amp):
http://www.stryke.com/subwoofers.html

Finally, the new Velo DD series of subs is probably one of the most sophisticated and technologically advanced on the market.

Good luck in your quest for great bass!

BruceD

Screenwriter
This can only truly be done well (sub and main speaker integration) with an external crossover, or quality digital XO in a higher-end prepro. REL would not be my first choice.

REL simply reduces the bass cancelling and reinforcement with the mains by reducing the output from the REL (still leaving the poorer bass output characteristics of the mains intact). This is where a high-quality crossover would provide a better blend at a more appropriate frequency for your room and speakers.

Your best bet for music orientation might be a sealed sub with an electronic crossover.

DanielG

Agent
I didn't really want to make this a thread about Rels themselves, but I do appreciate all of the thoughts and feedback. I'm pretty much ignorant of many of the technical aspects of subs and their construction but I have auditioned a good number that have come highly recommended and at least at in-store listening sessions have been the most impressed with the Rel Storm. Of course, most of my auditioning has been 2-channel music and my room at home is quite different than most showrooms so I will certainly have to listen at home for myself. I do plan on testing the Velodyne DD-12 as well.

While I haven't sat through a movie with the Rel, I have listened for hours in the showroom to widely varied music from A-Z (well maybe from B to U - Bach organ music to U2) and have not once found it to be lacking. Quite frankly it opened my eyes to many things that I'd previously had not noticed in pieces of music that I thought I knew pretty well. I also listened to the speakers I was auditioning with the Rel on and off and thought that in addition to its own performance it enhanced the performance of the speakers in the mid and high as well and enhanced the soundstage. You could really feel its presence almost as if it added to the density of the air in the room. Now perhaps I'd have been even more impressed with certain other great subs.....

Its always difficult to know at a showroom how well the sub has been set up to begin with and that's really the trick. Perhaps I've heard too many poorly set up subs and the Rel just happened to be set up perfectly to compliment the speakers I was auditioning.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Daniel G wrote:

Typically this happens when you remove the power sucking and midrange muddying bass from the mains by means of an electronic crossover. Since the REL does not do this, I am curious as to how it achieves this effect.

DanielG

Agent
Tony,

I'm a bit vague on how it works technically though from what I understand I think you are correct. However, it seemed pretty clear to my ears and the ears of the two friends I brought on different occasions (one tagged along twice) to listen, one is an experienced audiophile type and the other is a professional violinist so both in my opinion had good ears for differences. In fact, both have heard may subs over the years and both were struck by the performance of the Rel.

While Rels seem to get a lot of positive comments on various boards for music and great reviews from both publications and consumers, there certainly seems to be a bit of an undercurrant commenting on various "deficiencies" particularly for HT application. Thus far though the Storm has showed nothing but brilliance in showroom listening. Of course the real test will be over time at home.

--Dan

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Well Daniel, it seems you are very enamoured with the REL. So, getting back to the original question, since you have a dealer who has obviously taken a considerable amount of time to demo it for you (and your friends) and help you make up your mind, I'd recommend purchasing from him. This type of service rarely leads to big discounts so I think 10% would be about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks