Need preouts!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack*Mains, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Im starting to give up, theres just no perfect receiver out there!
    When I started looking for one, it was all nice and simple: I need something clean, moderately powerful(Monitor 11's?) and preouts. Now I feel that I also need a learning remote and EQ (or the ability to calibrate it some other way). I've looked at Kenwood, Panasonic, Sony, Denon, HK and Pioneer. I though the 811 may be the one, but I've seen a lot of bad ratings when it comes to power. The Kenwood lack preouts, and the HK / Denons are too expensive. I think Yamaha is the only brand I haven't checked out yet.

If you have ANY suggestions, Il hear them all... any suggestions at all are appreciated

2. John S Choi

John S Choi Agent

Whats wrong with Kenwood VR-6070. 7 pre outs, THX select.

3. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Just make lineouts from the speaker outputs.

4. Jack*Mains

5. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

You should check out the Marantz SR4300 6 channel sound and preouts on all six you should be able to get in the $600 range. Other option would be a Denon 1802 5 channel sound it has preouts for the front 3 channels. I got mine for $770 last year but if one can be found you may get a good price. I think THX is overrated so I wouldn't look at that as a selling point.

6. Jack*Mains

How accurate is the power rating on the Marantz? Its rated at 80*6, but does it deliver? THe pioneer is rated at 100W, but only puts out about 50-60W.

7. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

I don't know the actual output with all six channels powered up. I have read reviews on the older Marantz 4200 and it was a good entry level receiver. I have seen alot of discussion on this site and the Marantz has come under fire for there actual output compared to there rated output, along with some other receivers.
    There is a reason you are looking for preouts on your receiver. The same reason I went with the 1802 to be able to go with a power amp that can take some of the stress off the internal amps.

Today if I was buying a entry level receiver with preouts the Marantz would most likely give you the most bang for the buck. Denon took the preouts off the 1803 so you need to get the 2802 (soon to be replaced with 2803).

Check out the below link it's a Sound Vision test table on receivers they have tested. The Marantz tested looks pretty bad. I am sure there would be Marantz owners out there that would be able to tell you more about there receivers. Note the Kenwood it tested very close to there rated output.

Ian

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm

8. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Jack,

Why don't you get one of the refurbished HKs from harmanaudio.com? Also, take a look at JandR.com and see if they still have the HK AVR320 at their closeout pricing--it's under $400 if I remember right. Also, with the receivers you're looking at, none will give you a decent learning remote--you should looking into getting a decent one separately. Look at www.remotecentral.com for starters. Good luck!

9. MichaelTa

MichaelTa Agent

My Yamaha RX-V1300 has 6.1 preouts and can be bought for $700 or less depending on if you go with an authorized dealer or not. It is rated by Yamaha as 110x6 discrete, taken for what its worth. As always just my $0.02

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/R...R/RX-V1300.htm

10. Jack*Mains

Ok, I've Raised the bar ONE LAST TIME. And I REALLY REALLY REALLY Mean it this time. It down to The Denon 1803 vs. Yamaha rxv730 vs. Kenwood 6070. That's it.

The reviews on all 3 are good, and even though I didn't get to compare these 3 head to head, I listened to other Yamaha and denon models and honesty: I cant tell the difference. If you could rate the following 3 from "Best to Good" that would be helpful, otherwise, im going out tomorrow and picking up the Kenwood.

EDIT: Just realized the Denon doesn't have preouts, so its Yamaha vs Kenwood...

Thanks for all your input, you've been very helpful [​IMG]

11. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

Buy the one that your ear tells you to buy at this point.[​IMG]

12. Jack*Mains

Like I said... my ears cant tell the difference...
    Also, I just found a Denon 1802 in a local store going for the same price as the yamaha and kenwood.

13. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

Jack,

I said in an earlier post that I have the Denon 1802 and I am totally impressed with it. I will have that receiver for sometime, it will shake the house [​IMG] [​IMG] (just ask my wife). I have been listing to more music now than ever before and have watched more movies than I can count. Just waiting for my next upgrade which may be some Pardigm Mon 9's, as I am running 20 year old mains and nothing matches.

It has the preouts for the front 3 channels which was something you were looking for, I bought mine last Feb. the price paid was$770 and I had to ordered it in. So you should be able to get a good price on it as it's last years model. I didn't look close at the Yammaha last year as it didn't PL2. I didn't look at the Kenwood either.

I'm sure what ever receiver you pick you will happy with it. My final word is if I was looking at upgrading my receiver Denon would be at the top of my list. [​IMG]

14. Jack*Mains

Does the Denon have an on screen display? If it does, that would be enough to put it over the top [​IMG]

15. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

Jack

The Denon does not have onscreen display. All the setup info comes on the reciever display pannel.
    Also it does not have component video switching, just something else to keep in mind.

Keep use posted on your final choice.

Ian

16. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

One other thing I looking at the specs on the Kenwood the component video may not be up to the task the bandwidth is 10 MHz.

The Yamaha's component video bandwidth is 30 MHz. I found that in the owner's manual.

Below Quote from Cruchfield's site

17. Jack*Mains

Ian.. I think I've decided on the Denon.

The price on all 3 receivers is identical to the penny, so thats not really a consideration. And I dont care about component video switching as I do not have an HDTV, and will have 2 HDTV sources at most if I ever get one. I will simply keep in mind that I need a tv with multiple video inputs if I ever decide to buy one.

18. Jack*Mains

Damn, I just looked at Kenwood again and its looking as good or better then the Denon. Does anyone know how accurate the power rating is on the Kenwood. Im getting mixed results, some people say it realistically puts out 50-60W, and some say it's in the mid 90's. If the kenwood can sound as good and clean at the same levels as the Denon, i will probably get it instead.

19. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

20. Scott Wott

Scott Wott Auditioning

Dan, I was thinking the same thing.
    Please someone show me the light.

Thanks,
    Scott