What's new

Need PR Design Help (1 Viewer)

Miklsan K

Agent
Greetings folks. I have a couple of 15" drivers at my disposal, and I have been considering a ported design. After doing some reading, I may want something a little more compact, and I am considering a passive radiator design instead. I don't know much about PR enclosure design or tuning, and was looking for a little help. Could someone out there with more PR design experience help me spec out an enclosure for the driver listed below? My goal would be good response down very low, with good output in a moderate room (11'W x 19'L x 9' H) with a 200w plate amp. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
My driver specs are listed below.
Piston D 0.33 M
Re 3.25 Ohm
Vas 9.28 Ft^3
Fs 19.0 Hz
Qes 0.35
Qms 12.23
Qts 0.34
nO 0.49%
Efficiency 88.9 dB

Also, where is the best place to get good PRs at decent prices? I have looked at Styke, but am I missing other resources? Thanks.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Give Kyle a call at Link Removed. He can get them for you.
As fas as design goes - Kyle might be able to help you with that as well but others here will point you in the right direction.

Miklsan K

Agent
I apologize. The XMax is a whopping 8.31mm one way. Not great, I realize, but hard to turn down the deal on the woofers. If they don't work out, I may try something else, but for now, they should do.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
How compact do you want to go? A Vas of 9.28^3 doesn't really call for a small box, PR or not, maybe 4-5ft^3 for a good flat alignment. The driver doesn't have huge Vd, so you can probably get away with one Adire PR-15, though.

Miklsan K

Agent
I was looking in the 4-5 cu ft range ported, so I assumed the PR box would be roughly the same. I guess my main issue with PRs is tuning. Can anyone recommend some good reading on basic PR tuning techniques/philosophies? One other question: I know the drivers I am using don't have a lot of displacement, but I may well swap them out if I don't like the sound. Can a single Adire PR15 handling some of the larger displacement drivers oout there, or will I need two? Thanks again for all of the help.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
One other question: I know the drivers I am using don't have a lot of displacement, but I may well swap them out if I don't like the sound. Can a single Adire PR15 handling some of the larger displacement drivers oout there, or will I need two?
I'd definitely go with two if you think something like a Tempest is in your future. You want to at least double the Vd of your driver in most alignments. Even three of them is barely adequate for the new Tumult at lower power levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks