Need PR Design Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miklsan K, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

Greetings folks. I have a couple of 15" drivers at my disposal, and I have been considering a ported design. After doing some reading, I may want something a little more compact, and I am considering a passive radiator design instead. I don't know much about PR enclosure design or tuning, and was looking for a little help. Could someone out there with more PR design experience help me spec out an enclosure for the driver listed below? My goal would be good response down very low, with good output in a moderate room (11'W x 19'L x 9' H) with a 200w plate amp. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    My driver specs are listed below.
    Piston D 0.33 M
    Re 3.25 Ohm
    Vas 9.28 Ft^3
    Fs 19.0 Hz
    Qes 0.35
    Qms 12.23
    Qts 0.34
    nO 0.49%
    Efficiency 88.9 dB

Also, where is the best place to get good PRs at decent prices? I have looked at Styke, but am I missing other resources? Thanks.

2. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Give Kyle a call at Acoustic Visions. He can get them for you.
    As fas as design goes - Kyle might be able to help you with that as well but others here will point you in the right direction.

3. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

I apologize. The XMax is a whopping 8.31mm one way. Not great, I realize, but hard to turn down the deal on the woofers. If they don't work out, I may try something else, but for now, they should do.

4. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

I was looking in the 4-5 cu ft range ported, so I assumed the PR box would be roughly the same. I guess my main issue with PRs is tuning. Can anyone recommend some good reading on basic PR tuning techniques/philosophies? One other question: I know the drivers I am using don't have a lot of displacement, but I may well swap them out if I don't like the sound. Can a single Adire PR15 handling some of the larger displacement drivers oout there, or will I need two? Thanks again for all of the help.

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer