What's new

Need Powerfull Subwoofer for 150$ (1 Viewer)

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
I have the ASP-4000, and am a big fan. I never compared it to the dayton, but have tried a couple other subs, and liked it enough to buy. I actually tried the ASP-6000 first, but found it too powerful for my application, so I switched for the 10" and haven't looked back.

Josh*C

Auditioning
The 4000 is actually a 10 inch sub it's also 400 watts.
Thanks for the review Jeff. One question, is it really good for playing loud music?

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the ASP-4000 is a 10". I find it is great for music. I have it matched to Athena speakers all around for my system. I probably use my system 50% of the time for music, the other 50% for home theatre. I find its great for both applications. I listen to all kinds of music; classical, jazz, blues, rock, metal, and rap, and it sound just fine no matter what I play.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 4000 is 400w PEAK, 100W RMS, just to clarify. For $150, you can't expect a ton of sub, and I think the 4000 is probably one of your best bets at that price. The Dayton is likely pretty comparable, going about as deep and having roughly the same amount of amplifier power.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
By over-driving it, leading to a ton of distortion, a lot of heat, and premature failure of the amp.

It is not a 400 watt amp, it is a 100 watt amp that for brief moments, can touch 400 watts.

John tried to make that clear.

Just think of a car that can reach a top speed of 120 mph. They are not designed to run at 120 all the time. Puts a lot of stress on everything.

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
You may want to stretch your budget a bit ($199 plus shipping) for one of these new guys:
X-sub

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I think I would go for the larger speaker if I had to choose between subs with 8" 10' or 12" woofers rated and priced close.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What is this sub for? Music movies? How big of a room? I'd say stretch the budget / wait and save more and get a more substantial sub than most of what has been mentioned, because it will be one less thing you need to upgrade as you go (and you WILL if you keep coming here :D ).

Josh*C

Auditioning

It will mostly be used for music but movies every so often. The room isn't that big but I want to make sure it rocks my house :D. How much more do you think I would have to spend to get a quality one and if you have suggestion that would be great.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd probably expand the budget to at least $200 and consider the Onyx X-sub that was mentioned at minimum. Though it is only 8", it is getting some good reviews, as did the HSU STF-1 which is somewhat similar to that guy. Ideally, I'd probalby step up to something like the Mirage S12 at $399 or possibly the SVS PB-10 at $429. See the other inexpensive sub thread for some options here.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the Athena AS-P4000 yesterday for a second medium sized room application. On some limited listening I was able to do, it seems to be a very good option for a small to medium sized room on a limited budget. Its capable for both movie soundtrack usage (gets down in the Hz quite well for its size) and is fairly tight for music listening also.

If your room is any larger than 2,500 cu. ft., this likely will not fit the bill. Small to mid-sized, it should do quite well considering the price. If you're looking for a sub to loosen fillings, you might have to step up a couple hundred. I really can't see the Onix X-sub or HSU STF-1 blowing this sub out of the water. If aesthetics is important, the X-sub is definitely more attractive.

OneCall, who's selling this at the price you (Josh) mentioned, has a decent return policy if you're not satisfied with it or you decide you need a little more. -TD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks