Need polystyrene pellets (Foam peanuts or bean bag filling)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I want to make my own oversized beanbag chairs (commercial cloth units go for $140 each- I can make the shells for $20).

I need to find a cheap source for the polystyrene foam balls that go inside. I figured it's like anything else, if you buy it as "Bean bag refill" it costs $5 per cubic foot-- but if you buy is as an industrial product or from some less formal source- it's probably less than half that.

So I wondered if you guys had any suggestions on a place I might be able to find some (or something similar) cheap.

-V

2. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

I'd hit one of the local MailBox shops and ask where they get their peanuts from. Often times they'll have a catalog or local source you can contact, or go in on an order with you.

T

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Thom,
    Good advice- although I'm concerned the peanuts will not have the same feel as small pellets- maybe I could chip them up somehow.
    Any kind soul have a few garbage bags of foam peanuts they want to donate to a poor lowly HTF moderator.
    [​IMG]
    Vince

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Vince, I don't know of any company in particular in your area but grab the Yellow Pages and take a look under Shipping Supply Retailers or Wholesalers. They'll have the cheapest sources for what your looking for.

Patrick

5. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

My mother does alot of e-bay sales. She gets them from the post office.