need PJ opinion IF vs. BenQ

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Travis_R, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

Ok guys here it is, the Remodel on my house is going over budget, my work has been slow so I havent been making much money lately and I need to get the place done ASAP, I was absolutely Dead Set on the BenQ PE7800 but the pricetag on the IF SP4805 would be so much easier on my finances, I want a 119-125" Screen there is no compromise here 119" is bare minimum, would be watching 80% DVD's and 20% TV on dishnetwork HD reciever. my first row of seating is 12 Feet back. Light can/will be 100% controllable. I am just affraid that if I get the 4805 I will wish I had bought the BenQ, then at the same time im worried about cost of each PJ, the 7-1000 dollar difference is easily the cost of a new bathtub, countertops, drywall, and toilets, not to mention that I have to buy all new appliances for the kitchen in stainless steel. what do you guys think, this will be my first PJ.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Travis, I'd say get a HD projector because a 119" screen sitting only 12' back is WAY TOO BIG for a 480p projector like the 4805. With the 4805 you need to sit back 2X the screen width. How big is this room going to be? Your screen is at least 8.5' wide, so you would need to sit back 17'.

3. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Get your priorities in line. Get the better projector and get cheep toilets and bath tubs! You will spend more time in your theater.[​IMG]

4. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

I don't think the 4805 is a good choice for 119 inches. Most people are recommeding screens at 90 inches for the 4805.

The benq 7800 can be had for a tad over $2000. My cousin and her husband just bought one. Keep in mind, the 7800 is not an HD projector either, its based on the materhorn chipset, so you're looking at 576p.

The picture quality is quite smooth, but I found there isn't quite the visual pop I had expected based on reviews. This is from an OTB perspective. We haven't played too much with the settings and they only recently picked up the DVE disc. So, I'm optomistic there are still improvements to be had. They're thrilled with the picture, but then they're not critical HT types.

5. Travis_R

WAY AHEAD OF YAH BOSS [​IMG]

6. ScottATL

ScottATL Stunt Coordinator

Travis, go to home depot, sign up for the 6 months interest free financing and get the better projector.

How is everything coming along? We had the baby, so not much work has been done at my house, I have the media room game room, and hallway completely framed, which is about 75% of the framing. Now just another day of framing and I'll be ready to start the electrical work.

7. Travis_R

things have been coming along pretty good so far, except for this weekend I had some freinds over helping and one of them said they could do electrical too, So since my electrician buddy has been busy I said ok go ahead, to make a long story short he blew up 2 of my 20.00 3 way dimmers like fire crackers so I made him go upstairs and beat the old avacodo green cast Iron bathtub out with a sledgehammer. I did finally get the electrical straightened out and have about 80% of the insulation up, I should be ready for drywall in the theater in about 12 days if things keep runnin smoothly, But I am now debating on the BenQ PE7800 and the Panasonic AE-700, I like the fact that the panny is HD and is very flexible on where you put it, but I am weary of LCD, it just seems to me that the DLP will last longer, that and I have not heard great things about Panasonic customer support

8. Don Solosan

Don Solosan Supporting Actor

Don't lock yourself into a screen size yet. Get the projector, set it up, set up your chairs/couch/whatever at the proper spacing, and project a movie on the wall (assuming it's a white wall or close to it). Play with the settings to determine what size image looks best. Once you've got that sorted out, then buy a screen to fit.