need phone consultation with a veteran forum member...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Lee H, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Lee H

Lee H Extra

in an effort to speed up the learning curve (the HT subject being so vastly complicated) i wonder if any of the more knowledgeable videophiles would consider allowing me to call them for a phone consultation?

i have my eye on the new Sony that's to be released at the end of this month, the KDSR70XBR2....i want to buid a brand new, complete HT system with this as the cornerstone piece....

however, the more i study this site the more intricate and convoluted are the gazillion decisions that need to be made to avoid stupid purchases.....i could spend the next 6 months cramming, and hold off on my purchases, but my wife wants a good system NOW......(and so do i)......i would rather be enjoying a good system WHILE i learn.....[​IMG]

--we have a large living room (30' x 25')
    --it would be difficult to control the light
    --we have Comcast cable
    --80% of our watching is cable programming
    --20% is our dvd collection
    --we would like to venture into the HD-DVD world
    --we will also be buying a mid-priced surround sound system
    --we will have a friend install the system for us

it seems that 20 minutes spent on the phone (on my dime) with someone who knows the ins and outs would really be helpful.....anyone interested?

Lee

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Lee - please disregard my PM - here is a more capable system that may meet your budget ($3K-$5K) and will fit well within a large room (30 x 25):

Front Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 11 ($1,000)
    Center: Paradigm CC-370 ($300)
    Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-370 ($650)
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12–Plus ($900)
    Speaker Stands: For the surrounds ($150)

Total: $3,000

--- Edit: also audition the Monitor 9's $700-$800

Receiver: Denon AVR-3806 ($900)
    HD Player: Toshiba HD-A1 ($450)
    Power Conditionner: APC H10 ($300)
    Universal Remote: Logitech Harmony 880 ($150)
    Audio/Video Cabling: HDMI, Component, Digital Coax, Optical Audio, etc ($100)
    Speaker Cabling: 12 AWG Speaker Cabling, Subwoofer Cable ($100)

Total: $2,000

Grand Total: $5,000

I'd recommend posting back into the Speaker Forum for more suggestions on 5.1 speakers on a $2000-$3000 budget for such a large room. And you're more than welcome to PM me if you'd like to call me with some questions. [​IMG]

3. Alon Goldberg

Also, in regards to the TV, the new Sony SXRD XBR2 sets look like they will be amazing. I would highly recommend you visually compare to the new JVC 70" HD-70FH97. Both the Sony and JVC models are LCoS sets, which are absolutely state of the art.

The JVC 70" set retails for $4,700 (as opposed to the $7,000 Sony set).

4. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I know it's easier to communicate by voice sometimes, but the downside is no one else gets to benefit from the information. I can guarantee that you aren't the only one with the questions you have, and it would be nice to see them answered where everyone could see and maybe even offer a different opinion. Alon has given you great advice so far.

5. Lee H

Lee H Extra

Alon...

Thanks for the suggestions. I feel like I have a good base to start from now. I will start looking for the JVC. Is it in the stores yet? Does anyone have the Sony yet? (Maybe I'm a month early re the comparison test.)

Also, as I asked in a PM to you, will either of these sets upconvert our regular viewing (DVDs and cable TV) such that we will be getting a better visual experience than what we are getting now from our 3-year old, 60" KDP-57WS655 Sony? (And thus won't regret upgrading prior to the arrival of HD broadcasts in 2009?)

Lee

6. Alon Goldberg

Most TV's don't provide good upconversion - this is left to the DVD player's capabilities. You will definately get much improved DVD video quality by combining the Toshiba HD-A1's upconversion capabilities with the phenominal PQ of your new LCoS set.

You may even want to consider purchasing a seperate Denon DVD-2930CI ($849) DVD Player. This model includes the Realta HQV (Hollywood Quality Video) chipset, with the ability to perform over 1-trillion video processing operations per second. This is one of the most capable Upconverting DVD Players ever built, and will far exceed the Toshiba HD-A1 for DVD playback. But of course, this model does not have the ability to play HD DVD.

7. Lee H

Lee H Extra

Alon...

Our cable is provided by Comcast, and I realize that it has HD, but only on about 4 out of the hundreds of available channels.

I like the idea of saving money by going for the 70" JVC.

So, let me try to summarize what you're saying about the upconverted picture quality of our DVDs:

good-------JVC alone
    better------JVC + Denon AVR receiver
    better still--JVC + Denon AVR receiver + Toshiba player
    best of all--JVC + Denon DVD player + Toshiba player

Sounds like we would be very happy viewing our DVDs by going with the third option. The worst that could happen is that if BlueRay wins we would only be out the $450 for the Toshiba A1. That's not a big deal to me.

Thanks, Lee

8. Alon Goldberg

9. Alon Goldberg

Neither model is in stores yet, but while you wait you can take a look at the JVC 61" HD61FN97 over at Best Buy. Let us know what you think in comparison to the Sony 60" KDS-60A2000 on display.. Who knows, you might even lean back towards the Sony. But keep in mind, the sets on display are likely to be poorly calibrated, the lighting conditions are awful in store, and the source video may vary tremendously, so its really hard to audition or perform side-by-side comparisons unless you are in an intimate environment such as a Specialized Retailer.

I'd also recommend that when you audition your new speakers that you bring along several CD's and DVD's that you are very familar with. Remember, your ears won't lie to you, so don't let anyone tell you that Brand A is better than Brand B. [​IMG]

10. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    The 3806 doesn't "upconvert" You have to go to the next model up to get video upconversion.

11. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Most cable companies are carrying 10 or more HD channels. And in 3 years you will have an addition 10 or so HD channels plus hundreds of SD channels. Not everything is going HD. There's just not enough cable or satellite bandwidth to support it.

-Robert

12. Alon Goldberg

13. Lee H

Lee H Extra

thanks, Alon.........and also, thanks for letting me know about hdbeat.com.....looks like a good blog

i think i found a good HT consultant and installer......and wouldn't you know it....right here in my own small town......the way i ran across them is by happening across the CEDIA website and doing a search of the companies with CEDIA certified owners and employees......i am waiting for their estimate....one of their employees is at the CEDIA convention in Denver and they will be comparing the JVC to the Sony for me....... [​IMG]

14. Alon Goldberg

15. Lee H

Lee H Extra

thanks, Alon.......i'll be checking out those links when i get a chance....

it's funny, because i feel the bug getting to me.....much like when i was considering buying my C6 Corvette.....i ended up at the CorvetteForum.com 5 or 6 times a day doing research....still do, as a matter of fact....

didn't think i had enough spare time for yet another type of forum addiction....but it's happening again (can't stand NOT knowing at least the basics about something before jumping in with a big purchase....)

16. Alon Goldberg

17. Alon Goldberg

deleted