What's new

Need PC Speaker Recomendations (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I just built a new pc a few months ago and am looking for input for what speakers to buy to go with my pc. I only need a pair of speakers as I do not have the room for a surround set up for my computer. I am looking for the best speakers I can get as to many of the pc speakers are still laking in sound quality. They have come along way over the years but when I listen to music on my pc I hate it when it sounds bad. Anyone have suggestions for speakers that have good imaging, acuracy and crisp clean sound?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I always reccomend a home theater in a box setup, even in your case a good two channel bookshelf hometheater system would cost considerably less and sound better than most "computer" speakers.

Nevertheless, Logitech and Klipsch are always the two most highly reccomended companies for buying good sounding speakers from. I'd probably first establish how much I was willing to spend then start finding the offering in that area and compare reviews to determine which to go with.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Well, I know I wouldn't put a pair of unshielded speakers on my desktop, next to my computer screen. I also wouldn't want a pair of huge dual driver speakers there either.

Frankly, there is no way in hades a $39 pair of speakers will come close to what you get with a higher-end (for computer speakers) sub-sat setup. I haven't heard them, but still... no way.

The Logitech Z-2300 might be one possibility, but Logitech speakers tend to be a bit bass happy. I have a set of a couple-year-old Z-560 (4.1 speakers of which I only use 2.1) and its one big flaw is being a bit bass happy. Even with bass turned down to minimum it is still over the top.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look long and hard at Klipsch Promedia. The ProMedia 2.1 might be a good fit for you. The sub is powerful but not as over the top as on the Logitechs I've heard, and the sats are dual-driver affairs with a separate tweeter unlike Logitech.

If you want to go all-out, there is always the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra - you can most likely run it in a 2.1 configuration if you want (though I can't swear to that, obviously.)

The 2.1 systems available are usually wimpier than the top of the line, probably because the manufacturers expect people who want top of the line to go for 5.1 or more. The Klipsch 5.1 ultra is a set I myself would love to own, but have so far been unable to talk myself into buying (mostly because my bass-happy Logitech set works fine for what I use it for, and $350 is still $350. :) ) Here's one review and here's another. Google for them and I'll sure you'll find more reviews too if you need them.

Yes, we're talking $350+ but on the other hand, that's not a heck of a lot of money for what is in the package.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thanks for the input everyone. It is just really difficult to get really good sound with pc speakers so I wanted to get some input. I dont watch movies on my pc so I really do not need 5.1 for my pc. I kinda figure that if I want to watch a movie I will use my HT system that has a much bigger display and a much better audio system.

I might use some bookshelf speakers later if I get a flat panel lcd monitor and just use my Yamaha RX-V995 reciever to power the speakers. I can only do that once I have updated it and get a new reciever.

I apreciate everyones input on this subject, thank you.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Promedia 2.1 I've used for a few years and I think they are wonderful.
I think I paid 150 back then direct and think they are worth every cent -- wonderful sound and they don't look like a Andy Warhol painting gone bad. .

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
The reason I push the ProMedia 5.1 Ultras is because they come with an incredible sub for a set of computer speakers. Personally I bought a 4.1 system even though I knew I'd use only 2.1 of it - the extra cost and the unused satellite speakers were worth it to me because I got the better sub.

The sub in the ProMedia 5.1 Ultra package is a really impressive piece of kit with no less than two 8 inch woofers in it, so I figure it might just be worth the money to get that setup even though one doesn't intend to use all five surrounds.

Of course, there is also the Klipsch ProMedia 2.0, those are not sub-sat speakers but freestanding desktop models. From the reviews, they play well and even manage to produce some bass, although it cuts off pretty unceremoniously at 50Hz or so. Compared to the 5.1 Ultras though I'm sure they aren't even in the same league (which, considering they cost maybe one fourth of what you'd shell out for the 5.1 Ultra set, makes sense.)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Dave,

I was in the same boat a few years ago, figuring I’d have to get a vintage receiver and audiophile-grade bookshelfs to get hi-fi sound for my computer. I can save you from all that extra expense and wasted office real estate. If “good imaging, accuracy and crisp clean sound” is what you’re after, look no further than the Swans M200 Monitors.

Check the user reviews and you’ll find people comparing them favorably to $1000 bookshelf speakers. I especially like the one from the guy who said he was an esoteric audiophile type with a rack full of gear that most people have never heard of!

Bottom line, there’s no way a speaker in a plastic cabinet with 3” woofers can compare to something with a solid MDF cabinet, a real silk dome tweeter and 5-1/4” woofer. The larger woofer gives you what most all computer speakers are lacking: lower midrange response. Even the better computer speakers with 3” woofers will be giving up by 200-250 Hz. The Swans get all the way down to 50-60 Hz. Good as that is, I wanted more, so I got up a little 8” M&K sealed sub, which gets me tight, detailed bass down to 30 Hz or better. I picked up the M&K on eBay for about $125. Voila, a compact audiophile-grade computer set up for about $350 out the door. Almost as good as the fine sound - no hulking receiver to deal with.

They’re much larger than your regular PC speakers, but if you have room for the bookshelf speakers you were talking about, you have room for these.

A few of the New Egg reviewers mentioned that the Swans really demand a hi-fi sound card, so you might need to upgrade to get the absolute best from them. While I plan on doing that myself at some point, I’m currently using an el cheapo card, and the Swans sound fabulous even with it.

Unfortunately, New Egg has them listed as out of stock at the moment, but you might call them to see when they’ll have some more in. You can also find them occasionally on eBay.

If a Swans set-up is not in your budget, you might check into the fabulous Yamaha YST-MS50 system. The link will send you to a review I did about them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Again I would like to thank everyone for there input, much appreciated.

I am really going to have to check out those Swans they may be what I am looking for. I will have to find another use for my Yamaha reciever once it is upgraded. :D

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Did a ton of research a couple months ago and settled on the Logitech Z4 system. The sub is boomy and muddy, and the speakers don't offer a wide soundstage at all, but I actually prefer its sound to the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's.

I wanted to like the Promedia system so bad but it's simply outdated. It was a good choice when it came out in 2001, but compared to the other options available now, the sound is muffled and really undefined. I was completely disappointed, especially considering how nice they would've looked on my desk. Those speakers do produce big open sound though, which is nice.

I had my heart set on a pair of Swans + an extra sub as well but I needed a headphone jack with external volume control, so the Logi Z4 was the best option for me.

Go to CompUSA and bring a CD. They have several systems you can audition, including the Klipsch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks