Need opinions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by tony^v, Dec 23, 2004.

1. tony^v

tony^v Stunt Coordinator

Ok after some reading I narrowed down my search to the SVS pb10-isd or HSU stf-2.
    My question is which speakers do you think will sound good with them.
    I was thinking about the paradigm atoms for fronts for now and maybe a center from paradigm also.
    How will they sound?
    Is there another speaker that may sound as good or better without breaking the bank?

My rx is the onkyo 602

My family room is about 20x20 and soon the back wall will be open for my new kitchen about the same size.

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

You can get a good sub (like the two mentioned above) to blend well with pretty much any speaker. You set the crossover on the sub to pick up where your speakers drop off in bass response, for example if you speakers are rated to go down to 80 Hz then you would want to set your subs crossover at 80 Hz (or as close as it allows you). Also calibration of all speakers including the sub will make them sound much more natural together. In other words I would not worry about picking speakers to “match” the sub, just pick speakers that you like within your budget, I have heard good things about atoms but never heard them myself. Also how do you like your 602? It is one of the receivers I am considering.

3. tony^v

tony^v Stunt Coordinator

It is still in the box [​IMG]
    I am going to give it to my wife for xmas it is the only way I can buy it without my wife getting to mad at me :b
    I will let u know how it sound at xmas.

4. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

I think Atoms are the absolute best speakers around for their price, and for someone building a budget system recommend them. If you're looking to slowly put together a system, you could always start out w/atoms up front, and if you like the blending, add a second pair in the back. If you'd rather your fronts go lower, you could still move the atoms to the back and get a fuller range set for the front. Don't know if this piecmeal setup would be recommended by others, but it's how I'd go about doing it.

5. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

Hey Tony:

Evan is right, you don't need to match your speakers to your sub. The choice is yours and will depend on your personal taste. If you are looking to get the most bang for your buck don't forget the online compainies. I have read many favorable reviews from them. Here are a couple to check out:
    Axiom
    Rocket
    Since you cannot audition from the online companies start hunting around the board for opinions. There is a lot of love for the Atoms, they are great for the price.

6. tony^v

tony^v Stunt Coordinator

How about matching fronts with center or fronts with rears?
    Do they need to match?
    Right now I have tower JBL J1000mv for fronts and my center and rears are Design Acustics PS-CV.
    I want to replace my towers and go with a smaller speaker, maybe book shelfs to get the mids sound.
    I would like to replace the rears as well but right now I can't.
    I heard the atom and they sound pretty good, but I have not heard anything else.
    If I go with the atoms which center should I get?
    Is there a big difference with the titans?
    The axiom looks good but do they sound as good or better then the paradigms?
    I like the size of the tykes but do you lose in mids sound because of there size?

7. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

Only your ears can really answer the question of differences. I personlly like the sound of the atoms over the titans, but there is a notable loss in the bass response. Your usage of the system will greatly impact the best bang for the buck you can attain. If the system is going to be used primarily for music, then the L and R channel are far more important than the C and surrounds. However if you'll be watching movies then the C will be extremely important.

For the past 4 years I've had my piecemeal system that is probably 60% TV, 10% Music and 30% Movies. The LCR are fully matching, and the surrounds were assembled using available components to save on money. I've been extremely happy with the setup as is.

In general I'd say it's a good idea to have the LCR match to answer your question directly, since i'm sure that at least once in the life of your system it will be used to play a movie. Having all 3 channels match acoustically will provide a more realistic and enjoyable experience.

8. tony^v

tony^v Stunt Coordinator

I will be 50% music and 50% movies.
    I may go back to the store to listen to the titans.

1) How about the rears?
    2) Do they need to be matched?
    3) How will it sound if I use my cheap design acoustics for rear until I could replace them?
    4) How about for 7.1 sound do those speaker need to match?

I'm sorry for all the questions but it been 12 years since I bought any HT stuff. I am trying to replace my old Pioneer Dolby pro logic system

9. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

If you're thinking in comparison to DPL, there is an imporant difference with dolby digital and DTS. All the channels are full-range signals - Dialog can be coming out of the surrounds just as easily as out of the center channel (it isn't *usually*, but it can). The same story goes for multi-channel music. So it's a lot more important now that your surrounds are a sound match to the front speakers.

good luck,