Need opinions please

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by James_Z, Oct 2, 2006.

1. James_Z

James_Z Agent

My home theater consists of a Pioneer VSX D812 receiver (110 w per ch), a Philips DVP 642 DVD player (one that plays divx, etc), Kenwood KS-401HT speakers (the 2 front spkrs on space taking stands), and a decent Sony 120 W 12" sub. I was thinking of selling it all on eBay (except maybe the sub), and buying this

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4910118

I'm basically looking to save space (mainly with the speakers) and figure that the built in DVD player in this unit is basically the same one that I am using now. It says this unit puts out 250 W per ch. which is more than double of what I have now. I'm looking for opinions on which setup everyone will think is better and if I'll be losing sound quality by buying this system

2. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Ok, any particular reason you want Phillips brand? If your going to get a Home theater in a box type setup I think Onkyo and Denon are your best bets.

Other points -
    1)I think your going to be dissipointed by the amount of money your going to get on Ebay for your current gear. Nothing is very desirable and I think in the end shipping costs on things like the speakers are going to make them unsellable.

2)Theres not a snowballs chance in hell that little thing puts out 250wpc. Theres $2,000 2 channel amps that dont produce that much power. It might manage 25 wpc.

3)Yes its true that a built in dvd player will save space, however that means when the dvd player stops working, the whole thing is junk. I would suggest that having those 2 things seperate would be ideal.

3. James_Z

James_Z Agent

I chose the Philips brand because it seemed like a great deal. Like I said...it states 250w pr ch amd it's under $200. Not really worried about the a mount of money I'll get on ebay really.
    Anyway ..."25 wpc"??? How can they advertise 250 if its only really 25?

4. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

You will have to show me where you saw that written. I dont care if its written all over the unit in gold leaf though. Its not 250 wpc.

Have you personally listened to it?

Edit- I see it

"System Power

1000W (RMS) System
    250W (RMS) Front Speaker(s)
    250W (RMS) Center Speaker
    250W (RMS) Rear Speaker(s)
    250W (RMS) Subwoofer"

Yea, thats just a flat out lie. Don't beleive it. Besides, watts dont have much to do with good sound. Maybe they forgot the decimal point.

5. James_Z

James_Z Agent

so you think the audio quality this unit puts out will be worse than what I already have? My speakers arent all that great but i have a pretty decent receiver.

I'm actually looking to just save some space. I'm looking to get a decent set of speakers (pref the same size that come with the Philips model). Do you have any recommendations?

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Philips says that they're 3 ohm speakers. Furthermore, the satellite speakers are full range: only the centre speaker actually has a tweeter.

Quite a few firms make small satellite speakers: Polk (though their crossovers are strange), Infinity, B&W, Orb Audio, the firm that shall not be named...

7. James_Z

James_Z Agent

I am not really knowledgable on speakers ... does this mean they are not good?

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Hmm. Typical speakers use multiple drivers to handle different frequencies. For instance, my speakers use a 6.5 inch midrange driver to produce sound from 48 Hz to 4000 Hz, and a tweeter to produce the highs: 4000 Hz to 42000 Hz). Anything lower is handled by the subwoofer.
    The speakers contain a circuit board known as a crossover that sends the highs to the tweeter, and the lows to the midrange.

Cheaply made speakers use a single driver, and blurry sound can result. (It is possible to design a good, single driver speaker, but not inexpensively.) Conversely, a well designed multiple driver speaker can fill a room with sound, yet still allow the listener to identify where in space a particular sound is coming from.

It is possible to inflate the Wattage specification of an amplifier by specifying a lower impedence.
    For instance, I have a 75 W receiver. That's into 8 ohms. The spec sheet also says that it has a dynamic power output of 160W (3 ohm). It's essentially meaningless. Halve the ohms, double the power (given sufficient current-- which the phillips will most probably not provide.)

IIRC, the Pioneer is a pretty decent receiver. You should be able to find a
    set of satellite speakers that won't look too bulky, and would probably improve on your existing system.

(*Those particular speakers have a frequency response of ~130Hz -- 20 kHz and are really intended for use with a matching subwoofer. They contain 3 inch midranges and 1 inch tweeters). Not really my cup of tea, but they don't take up that much space.