Need Opinions on what should drive a Paradigm Reference System?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David J Wang, Dec 12, 2001.

1. David J Wang

David J Wang Agent

I'm probably going to upgrade my Paradigm Monitor system to a Reference system consisting of these parts

Mains - Paradigm Studio 80s or 100s

Center - Paradigm Studio CC

Rears - Paradigm Studio ADPs

Sub - SVS or Servo 15

I would like to know what you guys would suggest to drive this Reference system. I would like to buy a multi-channel amp to drive all speakers or multiple 2 or 3 channel amps to drive the speakers. The money I want to spend on the amp or amps should be around $2500 or less. What are your thoughts on these amp or amps to drive my system?

Anthem MCA-5

2 B stock Citation 7.1 Amps

1 Odyssey Stratos HT3 and 1 Odyssey Stratos

Parasound 2205A

Rotel RMB-1095

Since these are supposedly all mid-range amps I was wondering would just a Denon 5800 make sense to drive the system? Or would any of these amps blow away the 5800?

2. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    David I had the exact system except I had another pair of Active 20's. I have since upgraded to the Von Schweikert line save the Servo 15.After using a Citation 7.1 and a Yamaha RX-V1 and a Carver amp. I tried a Parasound 2003a and its the best that the 100's sounded. I then added a 2205a. Parasound and Paradigm have a nice synergy and work well together.All those amps are very good so try to audition.You will see other chime in that also use Parasound with Reference line and feel it is a good blend

Enjoy,

Steve

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Whatever you do, don't go the reciever route. Give speakers of that quality some decent power. The choices you made are all excellent ones.

I have Paradigm Ref 40's in the front, 20's in the back and a CC. I use the Anthem MCA 5 to drive them and I love it. I went with the Anthem based on a lot of reviews and I was able to find it in my price point. I've heard great things about the Odyssey and the Parasound in addition to the Citation, but for me I had to go with the Anthem in a value/performance measurement.

Happy listening. I feel whatever amp you go with you will probably end up quite happier than you would with the Denon IMO.

4. David J Wang

David J Wang Agent

I would welcome anyone with any experiences with these amps to chime in. Thanks.