Need Opinions on stuffing vented subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Slade, Jan 29, 2002.

1. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I have done just about all of the work you can do on a sonotube sub without having the driver. If and when the Tempest ever shows up I will be done in a few short hours.

Basically it is an Adire Alignment sub. So Would you or wouldn't you line it/stuff it and why?

My preference would be to not line it, for ease of build and so I don't have to worry about the lining glue ever letting go. I am already planning a few more bigger sub projects in the near future, this one is just for fun.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Stuffing a ported design serves a different purpose than in a sealed enclosure. In a sealed enclosure, the stuffing will make the enclosure "appear" bigger to the driver. It has to do with the way the air compressed inside the enclosure dissipates heat. For a ported design, stuffing, I feel, is mainly to "deaden" or damp the enclosure and to reduce any standing waves inside the box.

Since you are building a subwoofer, the wavelengths you are dealing with are probably larger than the enclosure itself, therefore, there standing/resonant waves wont be a problem and stuffing it is not required.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Yep, stuff a ported enclosure only if you are limited to the size of the enclosure (i.e. if you're not using the optimal enclosure size). I did this when I built Sunosub III (limited to the length of sonotube on hand), and the stuffing (using 1 pound/ft^3) returned an extra 30% of perceived volume (from 6 ft^3 actual volume to roughly 8 ft^3 of operational volume). I made this calculation by comparing the tuning frequency to the 'required' volume to get that tuning frequency vs. the actual volume (which should have returned a slightly higher tuning frequency for the enclosure, and it did - dropped the tuning frequency by 3Hz IIRC with the stuffing inside the enclosure).

4. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I'm a little confused on this one since Dan W recommended I put 8#'s of stuffing in the sonosub I'm building.

Specs:

24" x 72" sonotube

dual 6" x 20" ports

dual Tempests

480L tuned to 17hz

Should I double check with him on his recommendation for stuffing?? Is there an issue with standing waves in a dual driver sub that's 6' tall??? Thanks...Mike

5. Travis G

Travis G Stunt Coordinator

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

How many poeple have stuffed thier Sonosub's and traditional ported box's with Fiberfill?? This would allow me to make a smaller box for a Tempest sub, then stuff it to make the "virtual-space" bigger.