Need opinions on new Sharpvision 16:9 RPTVs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenP, Jun 11, 2001.

1. StephenP

StephenP Stunt Coordinator

These are apparently a new product. Does anyone own one of these, and if so, what do you think? I just saw them in a local high-end store, and the picture was better than the toshiba it was sitting by. I was quoted a price of 3229 for the 55", with a msrp of 4300. The model number is 55RPW5H I believe. It isnt even found by mysimon.com yet, and there are no reviews on audioreview.com. It apparently incorporates a scaler which converts all incoming signals to at least 540p or 1080i. It has a 2 year manufacturer warrantee. This is more than I was planning on spending, as I was waiting for the Tosh 50H81. Any of you guys have opinions?? Help please before I buy something I regret [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. Steven Tillman

Steven Tillman Auditioning

I bought this set two weeks ago. It's a winner.
    It has an excellent line doubler / scaler and tons of user adjustments. No halo problems, red push or other little annoyances. Great color and picture.
    I like the way it handles signals so well that I am going to hold off on getting a progressive scan player for awhile. (I'm using a Sony 7700)
    One thing I learned though. Use component cables if at all possible. I hooked it up with S-video, and wasn't real pleased with the result. Composite looks good, component looks great, but s-video is not that hot on this set.
    So far I'm really satisfied with my set. I think $3,200.00-$3,500.00 is a good price range for this set.

3. StephenP

StephenP Stunt Coordinator

Anyone else own one of these? The local store said he is selling them 4:1 against the similar sized Toshibas. Surely a few more of you have one? I am really trying to decide between a 50+- widescreen (50H81 maybe)or a direct view 36" (maybe kp36hs20?). The reason I am considering the direct view is because I play a lot of videogames, and the afternoon sun shines directly on my TV. I know I need some blinds, but I didn't put windows in my house so that I could cover them right back up [​IMG] I am concerned with direct view geometry problems, but also with the low light output of a properly set-up RPTV. Any help on this sub-topic?

4. John E Housenga

John E Housenga Auditioning

I've had trouble seeing my 36" direct view when the sun is shining through the window. A projection may be worse, but...
    I suggest that you only use your TV at night. That way, you can get out and enjoy the day. [​IMG]
    John