What's new

Need opinions on new Sharpvision 16:9 RPTVs (1 Viewer)

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
These are apparently a new product. Does anyone own one of these, and if so, what do you think? I just saw them in a local high-end store, and the picture was better than the toshiba it was sitting by. I was quoted a price of 3229 for the 55", with a msrp of 4300. The model number is 55RPW5H I believe. It isnt even found by mysimon.com yet, and there are no reviews on audioreview.com. It apparently incorporates a scaler which converts all incoming signals to at least 540p or 1080i. It has a 2 year manufacturer warrantee. This is more than I was planning on spending, as I was waiting for the Tosh 50H81. Any of you guys have opinions?? Help please before I buy something I regret :)
Thanks

Steven Tillman

Auditioning
I bought this set two weeks ago. It's a winner.
It has an excellent line doubler / scaler and tons of user adjustments. No halo problems, red push or other little annoyances. Great color and picture.
I like the way it handles signals so well that I am going to hold off on getting a progressive scan player for awhile. (I'm using a Sony 7700)
One thing I learned though. Use component cables if at all possible. I hooked it up with S-video, and wasn't real pleased with the result. Composite looks good, component looks great, but s-video is not that hot on this set.
So far I'm really satisfied with my set. I think $3,200.00-$3,500.00 is a good price range for this set.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else own one of these? The local store said he is selling them 4:1 against the similar sized Toshibas. Surely a few more of you have one? I am really trying to decide between a 50+- widescreen (50H81 maybe)or a direct view 36" (maybe kp36hs20?). The reason I am considering the direct view is because I play a lot of videogames, and the afternoon sun shines directly on my TV. I know I need some blinds, but I didn't put windows in my house so that I could cover them right back up :) I am concerned with direct view geometry problems, but also with the low light output of a properly set-up RPTV. Any help on this sub-topic?

John E Housenga

Auditioning
I've had trouble seeing my 36" direct view when the sun is shining through the window. A projection may be worse, but...
I suggest that you only use your TV at night. That way, you can get out and enjoy the day. :)
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks