What's new

Need opinions on Marantz CDR-500 or others (1 Viewer)

Seth

Agent
I am looking at buying a stand alone cd recorder/player
sometime this week. The one I'm looking at buying is the Marantz CDR-500 professional model. Are there any other
cdr player/ recorders that are better under $700.00. If anyone has this model can you please tell me how you like it.
Thanks for your time
Seth

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Seth, I have a Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-deck, and it's a great machine. As a dual deck, it dubs at 2x or 4x speed (whole discs only). I have had no problems making copies. All have been perfect (no coasters) and sound just like the originals. I bought the CDR 30 from OneCall (1-800-340-4770) a few months ago for $450. For $350, you can get the CDR 20, which is similar to the CDR 30, but has fewer features. The CDR 30 adds HDCD and MP3 CD playback as well as digital recording level adjustment.
An advantage of the a pro deck is that you can bypass SCMS, meaning you make copies of copies. That is a nice feature. Pro decks also allow you to use computer CD-Rs and CD-RWs, which are cheaper than the "digital audio" blanks. In any event, you might also look at the Tascam '700 pro deck. It is a single-well recorder, but is well regarded from what I have read. Take a look atLink Removed for more info. It too can bypass SCMS and accept computer CD-Rs and CD-RWs. In the end, the convenience of a dual-well deck and the quality of Harman/Kardon decks won me over. Still, a pro deck is a good choice. Good luck.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks