Need opinions on Akai 55" TV at Costco

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Moe Maishlish, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Hey all,

I was in costco yesterday, and I noticed that they had an Akai 55" HD Ready RPTV on display for $1000 (Canadian), and I wanted to know if anyone has any opinions or experience with it.

The model is PT5598HD - I did some online research, and I can't find much in terms of a recent or in-depth review. I figured you guys would be the best-bet for a source of information, given the nature of the community. [​IMG]

This is the TV here, on Akai's page. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it (or Akai in general), and can tell me what kind of performance I can expect. For $1000, I'm not expecting a top-of-the-line product, but a decent HD set would be great (since I don't have HD yet, I'm looking for fill that void...)

Thanks!

Moe.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

It's built by Samsung, which is one of the better dlp mfgs and one of the poorer crt rptv mfgs. Sony 520 series sets in the 51" size are being discounted pretty heavily now, within shouting distance of a grand, and would make a much better choice.

3. John S

John S Producer

I would ellivate Phillips above that set as well. You should be able to find one for around the same price.

But I admit.. $1000 Can. is a tough price point, and a 55" new in that range is going to be tough. I'd be inclined to give it a shot probably. Maybe try to swing a cheap extended warranty on it.

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Stay away from it, might appear to be a bargain, but it has some really bad red push issues. My brother in law has the 52 inch model and I tried toning down the contrast and brightness and nothing, there a redish tint in the blacks bars that I can't seem to get rid of. He's fine with it so I gave up, but I think it's a bad picture even for DVD. Step up to a Phillips or I agree with the previous poster about Sony. I have the 520 and it's "da bomb". [​IMG] I used VE to calibrate it and I must say the contrast and brightness was set pretty low out of the box. Just watch Monster's Inc. for the first time on this t.v. via upscaling player and this t.v. has one sweet picture, including with satellite.