Need opinions on a stereo home audio setup!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KyleT, Jul 8, 2003.

1. KyleT

KyleT Stunt Coordinator

Nov 8, 2002
    Here's what I've come to conclude would be a good setup based on what I've read here on the forum and elsewhere:

I'll eventually build it up to a full fledged home theater system, but budget constraints and my desire to buy a few nice pieces instead of a bunch of 'not as nice' pieces won't let me, for now. This will be used strictly for music for now, but eventually for home theater as well.

Front speakers: (stereo only for now)
    Polk Audio LSi15

SVS PB-2 Plus

Adcom 5400
    (What do you think about the Rotel RB-1080 instead?
  2. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Jan 12, 2003
    Kyle have done any listening yet? Just because a speaker is recommended doesn't mean you are going to like the sound. Speaker designers have to make choices when "voicing" a speaker. I say get out, listen and find out what sound YOU like.
  3. Kevin_R_H

Kevin_R_H Stunt Coordinator

Jan 3, 2002
    Kyle, I have two opinions for you. First, however, I have no opinions about the specific pieces you mentioned - I have never heard any equipment from Polk Audio, SVS, Adcom, or Rotel.

1) I agree with Chris - do not design a system around oter people's opinions. Your goals for your system may be different; your room will be different; your "ears" will be different. And just because each of the pieces mentioned are high quality, it doesn't mean they will sound great together. A great system is about "synergy".

2) I fully support your "plan of attack". Buying better quality pieces now (just fewer of them) allows for a much easier path to HT nirvana than a full 7.1 system of compromised components. Upgrading low-quality components is a more costly way to go versus just adding matching components.

Good luck to you,