What's new

Need opinions on a peamp/processor (1 Viewer)

BrentPollard

Second Unit
The center channel of my Sony 9ES Reciever died and it is not worth fixing as it is only prologic, so I will replace it. Now my budget limit is US$3000. I believe its time to move to a preamp/processor but have not ruled out a really good receiver. What I have to work with is;

Rotel RB985 5 channel power amp

PSB Stratu Silver front spkrs

PSB Stratus C6 center

PSB Alpha surround ( may upgrade to Stratus MIni's)

PSB Subsonic 3.

Sony; MDP455 LD player

MDS-JE500 Minidisc player

DVP-S360 DVD

CCD-VX3 Hi8 cam.

The hardware I've been looking at includes;

Integra RDC-7 pre/pro

Integra DTR 9.1 reciever

Acurus Act III only has 2 S-video inputs tho

Parasound AVC 2500u

Rotel RSP 985 etc.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated on these or products that you think may compare to these.

Thanks

Anthony Stephan

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if your room would be capable of a 7.1 system, or even if you're interested in that. But if you were, there are lot's of new Lexicon MC-1s for sale WAY below their original prices. You could pick up this outstanding pre-pro and still save some money.

Also the Tag McLaren piece is getting lots of great reviews the AV32 I believe can be had for around $3,000.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Thanks for the quick response. Yes my room is capable of 7.1 and it is a consideration if not now, at least in the future, so that ability in a processor would be nice. My room is a near perfect rectangle 14'x30'

Brent

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Brent, I don't know about the rest of the pre-amp/recievers your looking at but, stay away from the Acurus ActIII. It is maxed out, there are no more upgrades for it, No 6.1, no DPL2, ect ect... I love my Acurus amps but the ACTIII is dead. If DD, DTS, and 5.1 is what u want then great, but if you want to upgrade the Acurus is the wrong choice.

Craig

Jason Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Brent,
I think I would stay away from the Acurus as it seems to be a dead end product. Although in a completely different than the ActIII, the Lexicon MC1 may not be the best choice, as it lacks analog pass through. You may not have SACD or DVDA capability now, but you will want it.
The Tag AVR32 looks good and though it lacks analog pass through, can be upgraded to the 192(?)without taking a loss. Tag allows full price paid for the 32 to be applied to the 192 upgrade. IIRC.
The Integra RDC7 seems to be a very good sounding piece and is well regarded by reviewers and owners alike. Too bad he seems to never post here anymore, but Burke Strickland bought the RDC7 after trying others and loves it. His system is a very musical one(BEL 1001 MK5 amp, Magnepan 3.6) and the RDC7 ended up at the top. You might try a post on it at HTT for a possible response by him.
Also, dont forget the B&K Ref30. Not quite up with the Tag or Integra but very close I think. I like mine quite a lot and at the price, it could not be beat.You should be able to pick one up at well below your budget where the others mentioned,(RDC7, AVR32/192) stretch it a bit:)
Jason

Marc H

Second Unit
Brent,

I am very impressed with the sonics of Myryad's MDP500. Musical, musical, musical.

Try and give it a listen. Stereophile class A recommended too.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Thanks for the input and thanks to Gordon for the SF suggestion, I think that and the Tag Mclaren have moved to the top of the list so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks