Need opinions on a few different projectors

Discussion in 'Displays' started by micah bjj, Jul 14, 2004.

1. micah bjj

micah bjj Stunt Coordinator

I am currently trying to decide what projector is best suited for me. I am in a dilema in trying to decide if I should get an enty level unit or a more expensive one. My room has some ambient lighting, but my windows have blinds on them and I soon plan on having drapes cover them or getting the windows tinted.

I plan on playing video games, watching tv, and watching dvd's. I will soon have HDTV. I prefer 16:9, but would consider a 4:3.

The entry level projectors that I have been looking into are the InFOcus 4805, Sanyo PLV-Z1, mitsubishi hc3, and the Panasonic pt-L500U.

The more expensive projectors that I have been looking at are Sanyo PLV-70HT and the BenQ PE8700 with H2 chip.

If you have any negative or postive thoughts about any of these projectors let me know. ALso, if I may be overlooking a projector that you recommend please let me know. Thanks for all the help.

2. Oren Paul

Oren Paul Stunt Coordinator

I installed a L500U about a month ago and it has exceeded my expectations. I view on a 92" Carada Classic White screen from about 16'. I chose the L500 over the BenQ 8700. Both looked great but I went with the less expensive unit as the BenQ was not twice as good to my eyes. Also the L500U has HD resolution at a price point under $2000.00!

3. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Micah, no room can have more windows than my living room [​IMG] i have 6 windows with blinds in my living room, plus a door recess opening into kitchen which is also fully lit with big windows. I am using 4805 with just the blinds closed at present and am still happy with the picture (theres no direct sunlight into the room though). I would suggest you give it a shot and see, if you plan to drape your windows you most ceratainly would be pleased with the result.

4. micah bjj

micah bjj Stunt Coordinator

Both of those are now at the top of my list.

Thanks for the help. I just dont want to end up with something that doesnt look good at all. I went into Ultimate Electronics and they had a $4k Sharp projection that did not look very good. I dont want to end up with something like this.

Daman: Is the 4805 4:3? IF you had to do it over again would you pay me for a more expensive projector?

Does anyone else have any opinions on these two projectors? I was also really interested in the Sanyo PlV-70TH that costs about $4,000. Does anyone have this projector and have info about it?

5. RonaldMc

RonaldMc Agent

im no expert but i hear Dream Vision is a good projector company altough their cheapest one is 6.5k

6. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Micah- the 4805 is a native 16:9 projector with a 4:3 mode in case you want to watch 4:3 material.. and no i wouldnt upgrade because i think for the money its a real steal [​IMG] i had the X1 for sometime before deciding the 4805 way. It of course depends on ur budget, but within my budget, im very happy and satisfied with it. No upgrades for in projector area for quite a few years now.