Need opinions on 2 receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean DeMass, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I need some opinions on a couple of receivers. My Onkyo 595 just came back from the shop yesterday and it is still not working, so I am considering getting a new receiver. I have it narrowed down to 2, the Denon 1802 and the Marantz 5200. I like the features on the Marantz and the remote looks 10 times better. I have heard the Denon 1802 but not the Marantz (will this weekend). Does the Marantz have a warmer sound or a brighter sound than the Denon. The reason I ask is because I am using Klipsch speakers and I do not want a bright receiver to go with my bright speakers.

Also, does either receiver have any bass management on them?

All info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Dean-

2. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

I like the 1802, but take a look at the Yamaha RXV630...

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

The 5200 has a problem with the S-video monitor out. All other S-outs are fine. Problem is, this is the way to the OSD. The remote is a fair step-up from Denon's 1802 remote.

I find the Marantz sound to be very sweet. Denon is slightly warm but still neutral. Just my $.02

4. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Both have fixed bass redirection frequencies (100Hz for both , I believe). In that price bracket, the only receiver with sophisticated bass management(and it is REALLY sophisticated) is the Sony STR-DB1070 but it is known for being a bit bright and lacks DPLII.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Price wasn't mentioned, but if you are going to spend $600, then the Marantz SR6200 is on par with, if not better than the HK 520. I paid $599 from an authorized dealer. It's an excellent receiver.

Between the 5200 and 1802, I would go with the 5200. It has basically all the features of a 6200, just less power. I compared a 3802 and the 6200/7200, and chose the 6200 because I feel Marantz do a much better job for music. I was not pleased with the remote that came with the 6200 though. Yes, SOME of the x200 line have had the s-video issue, not ALL, and Marantz has apparently fixed this on the line, so current models should not have this issue...CHECK IT though. I have my 6200 run to my TV via s-vid for OSD and I have no issues. It is video SWITCHING that causes the problem. If you don't need to do video swithcing, then the 5200 is a great choice.

I like the 595 also, and I would say the 5200 roughly the same performance, maybe a feature or two more, than the 595.