What's new

Need opinions on 2 receivers (1 Viewer)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I need some opinions on a couple of receivers. My Onkyo 595 just came back from the shop yesterday and it is still not working, so I am considering getting a new receiver. I have it narrowed down to 2, the Denon 1802 and the Marantz 5200. I like the features on the Marantz and the remote looks 10 times better. I have heard the Denon 1802 but not the Marantz (will this weekend). Does the Marantz have a warmer sound or a brighter sound than the Denon. The reason I ask is because I am using Klipsch speakers and I do not want a bright receiver to go with my bright speakers.

Also, does either receiver have any bass management on them?

All info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Dean-

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
The 5200 has a problem with the S-video monitor out. All other S-outs are fine. Problem is, this is the way to the OSD. The remote is a fair step-up from Denon's 1802 remote.

I find the Marantz sound to be very sweet. Denon is slightly warm but still neutral. Just my $.02

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Both have fixed bass redirection frequencies (100Hz for both , I believe). In that price bracket, the only receiver with sophisticated bass management(and it is REALLY sophisticated) is the Sony STR-DB1070 but it is known for being a bit bright and lacks DPLII.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Price wasn't mentioned, but if you are going to spend $600, then the Marantz SR6200 is on par with, if not better than the HK 520. I paid $599 from an authorized dealer. It's an excellent receiver.

Between the 5200 and 1802, I would go with the 5200. It has basically all the features of a 6200, just less power. I compared a 3802 and the 6200/7200, and chose the 6200 because I feel Marantz do a much better job for music. I was not pleased with the remote that came with the 6200 though. Yes, SOME of the x200 line have had the s-video issue, not ALL, and Marantz has apparently fixed this on the line, so current models should not have this issue...CHECK IT though. I have my 6200 run to my TV via s-vid for OSD and I have no issues. It is video SWITCHING that causes the problem. If you don't need to do video swithcing, then the 5200 is a great choice.

I like the 595 also, and I would say the 5200 roughly the same performance, maybe a feature or two more, than the 595.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks