What's new

Need opinions about dedicated theater room (1 Viewer)

I am finishing my basement and am planning a dedicated theater room. The area available is 13' x 23' with the entrance at the rear (smaller side) in the center.

The theater seats I am getting are 7.5' wide when three are connected to each other, so this leaves 2'10" of space to each side of each row of seats. I am going with two rows of three for six reclining seats with the rear row on a 9" riser.

The first row of seats will be about 13' from the screen and the screen will be 52"x92" elevated 30" from the floor.

Does this sound like a suitable size and layout?

Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I can't give an opinion until I know what size screen you'll be using, and what the resolution of set is. Will you use a projector or a TV?

The screen size is 106" diag (52"x93") using an InFocus IN76 projector mounted at 7'10" high. The projector is 1280x720.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
sounds reasonable to me. you will need to fiddle with speaker positions a bit to get it perfect, but you are well on your way.

Paul_C

Stunt Coordinator
Hello;

That sounds like a nice setup. My room is 13'6" X 20'. I have 1 row of 4 Berkline recliners at about 13' and a back row of 3 real theater rocker seats. The front row has about 1.5' on each side.

As you can see, my setup is very similar to yours and it works fine. I find that the two outside seats in the front row are probably a little too close to the surrounds but when you have a full house the extra seat sure comes in handy. If we only have a couple people over most prefer to sit in the back row because of the better viewing/listening position.

Good luck.

Paul.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I'll guess your rear row will be at least 17' back from screen? With your seating distances and a HD projector, I would go with a little bigger screen. If you sit in the rear seats, you'll wish you had a larger screen. Using the 1.5X screen width rule of thumb for your seating distance, you can easily go with a 9' wide screen.

I have the width to allow a 9' screen but the extra height would mean having to mount the screen closer to the floor. This would obstruct the rear row view because the riser can only be 9" tall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks