Need Opinion: Tower Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_Winter, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Michael_Winter

Michael_Winter Auditioning

I am contemplating building my first DIY project, a front set of main tower speakers. This is my first project, but I am an experienced woodworker, albeit not an experienced speaker system builder. I am considering the EROS VSS on speakerbuiloder.net, the Thor by Seas from Zalytron, and lastly the Adire 281's. I really want a nice set of front speakers that will continue to satisfy for years. I listen to a lot of HT, but I'd like them to be musical as well. I already have a SVS 25-31PC sub and my current front mains are 3-way JBL LX44's. What is one of the better kits out there for less than $1,000 and would be a good match for my situation. Any opinions? Thanks.

2. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

How firm is your $1,000 budget. If you can go a little over, I would recommend the Focal H/T fronts from Zalytron. The entire kit costs $1,200. I have bought these and built a ported cabinet vs. the transmission line. They sould unbelievable. Very detailed.

3. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

build the 281's (and have money left over t'ward an amp upgrade. [​IMG] )
    im pleased with mine.
    ------------------
    'Till next time,
    Rich (the kite guy)
    My DIY audio page!
    Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks [​IMG]

4. Michael_Winter

Tom:
    Don't the Focal's cost $1099? I know you mentioned $1200? Was that S&H included. How are they for music?
    Thanks for the response on the 281's. A lot of people seem to be happy with them.
    I just want to do this once and not worry about having to upgrade.
    Thanks for the responses.

5. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

Your right, on the kit cost. I went ahead and paid Elliot an additional $125 to build the front baffle board. I did this because it would of been very hard to for me to flush mount the hexagonal shaped speakers. They were 1 1/2 inch thick, and an awesome fit. I hihgly recommend. They sound absolutely awesome for music. My bottom end is a pair of iso tempest sonotubes. I have several of the telarc (sp?) movie soundtracks, (i.e. the Big Picture) These are absolutely awesome recordings, and sound awesome on the focal speakers. Highly recommend. My previous speakers were the pinnacle tower. They would seem to be very close to the adire 281s. The Pinnacle's sounded good, actually I thought very good for the money. However, these Focals blow them away from 50 hz and up. Anything below that doesn't matter for me, as I've got the tempests for down low. Good luck on whatever you choose, You can't go wrong.

6. Michael_Winter

Tom:
    Thanks for the great input. I just may go for the Focals too. So Elliot is one of the guys at Zalytron? So did you then veneer over the front MDF baffle board? Do you have any digital pictures that I could see? Did you buy the kit as well? Also, does the kit come with all of the necessary components for completion, i.e. crossover, connectors, etc. Thanks.

7. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

Michael,
    Yes, Elliott is the technical guy at Zalytron. Pretty good to deal with. The guy who answers the phones? well, somedays good, somedays not so good to deal with.
    As for the finish of the speakers, I veenered them with a Birch veneer and stained them a redish/honey stain. I have built the speakers into my in-wall entertainment center. That is why I moved from the t-line to the front port. The speaker cabinets extend about 4 inches infront of the entertainment center and the surrounding walls.
    As for pictures, after this week, I plan on trying(never posted pics before) to post some digital pics taken with my new canon camcorder. They won't be great quality, but should do the trick.