Need opinion (should i buy a rotel rsx 1055 to replace my pioneer elite)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by NickM, Jul 17, 2004.

1. NickM

NickM Auditioning

Should i buy a rotel rsx-1055 to replace my
    pioneer elite vsx-43tx,i am using definitive tech
    speakers in my entire system, i listened to a rotel
    in the audio store with b&w speakers and the sound was
    really awesome; so i like my pioneer but i will like
    to get an opinion about this future change in my system.

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

The RSX-1055 is a discontinued model. The replacement is the RSX-1056. Are you planning on buying a dealer demo or closeout stock?

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Absolutly[​IMG] One thing to keep in mind though is that as Mark says the 1055 is a discontinued model which was replaced with the more flexible 1056 this past year. the 1055 also requires a modification to properly handle bass on its multi channel inputs that your dealer can do for you (though they may not know about it) or you can do yourself at home if you like. Also make sure that its the version two line as those are the ones with the improved video so that they'll pass HD properly. To test which version it is press and hold the mute button on the remote for several seconds and you'll see the firmware level displayed on the screen...it should start with a 2 as is in 2.29 etc. If you have any other rotel questions please feel free to email me directly if you like.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

While the Rotels are great units I think there are better options for the money. Ecost currently has refurbished Denon 2805s and 3805s for $530 and $650 respectively. Combine either with a good 2ch or even 5ch amp (rotel if you really like their stuff) and you have what in my opinion would be a much better setup for the same money with better features and probably better amplification (assuming you added something like a 1070 2ch amp or older 985 5ch amp). The 2805 and 3805 both have an advanced automatic room equalization system, 3 100mhz component video inputs and component video upconversion for all composite and s-video sources. The lack of inputs, 100mhz video switching, component up-conversion, and especially room-eq makes the 2805 or 3805 a much better pre-pro from a feature standpoint, and neither will disappoint in sound quality either, especially when matched with a good external amp. The 1056 is a step in the right direction but only having 5 internal amps, no room-eq, and the well documented hiss problems still makes me lean towards the other similar retail priced receivers that are available at amazing deals refurbished to use as pre-pros.

5. Brad_Harper

Brad_Harper Stunt Coordinator

To go along with Stephen's idea you may even want to just keep your Pioneer and add an external amp. Especially since the Pioneer has the auto cal function and plenty of other bells and whistles. To me this would be the best path if you feel your system is missing something.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The 43TX doesn't have the auto-calibration function. It just has a manual 5 band EQ which doesn't calibrate to flat room response, it just calibrates for your center and surrounds to match your mains. I also have a 43TX and am currently looking at going to the Denon 3805 or possibly the Pioneer VSX-1014 or Elite 52TX coming out in August. I probably won't add external amplification imediately however.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I think that's blown way out of proportion. Yes a few people have complained about hissing on some very early models but by and large that's not an issue any longer.

8. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

rotel, hands down.

i work in a store that sells rotel, denon and a few others. its setup to switch on the fly between them all. the rotel blows them all away, except for the B&K. the 1055 (when it was current) sounded a lot better than the denon avr-5803.

dont bother with denon or pioneer elite. good products, but not in the same league as rotel.

and about the hiss problem, its exactly as andrew stated. plus, how much documentation do you find regarding people with flawless units. they never post online. only the people with problems end up in forums.