Need opinion on Sony VPH-1052Q

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joel Tougas, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Joel Tougas

Joel Tougas Auditioning

Jul 12, 2005

I am a total newbie in the world of home theater. I decided recently to make the big jump. After reading many threads on that topic, I decided to go with a CRT projector.

I bought from the classified ads a Sony VPH-1044Q with only 250 hours for 1300$US (including 60 X 80 screen and fine tuning after installation). I was very disappointed by the image quality. I could see horizontal lines (bad refresh rate I guess) while playing DVDs and there is no progressive scan.

I notified my seller and he just proposed me a Sony VPH-1252Q instead, but with 3000 hours of use for 350$ more (so 1650$ total for all). This model offers progressive scan and HDTV support. Is such a high number of hours a big deal? Should I accept the trade or keep the other one with the "bad" image, but fewer hours of use?

If this is not a good deal, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

I need help please!
  2. Brian Gi

Brian Gi Stunt Coordinator

Feb 20, 2003
  3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    All depends on the condition of the tubes, and you have to see the tube face to tell. The hours on the tubes is helpful to know, but you don't know whether those were easy hours, or driven hard. I couldn't stand a video-grade CRT, just way too slow a refresh rate so I see flicker, and I see scanlines like crazy. A data/graphics grade unit driven well is incredible, but I'm not sure if you are willing to spend that much, it'd be a couple thousand probably for a nice ES focused unit, and a bit more for an EM unit for a sharper picture.