1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need opinion on progressive scan setting.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Thomas Brown, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Thomas Brown

Thomas Brown Extra

My Hitachi direct view HDTV has an automatic progressive scan upconverter for 480i programming. My Motorola HD cable box also has 480i Override feature which essentially does the same thing but is switchable. With both of these features turned on I get a grainy picture that flickers. These two circuits are apparently bucking each other or something. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I would think that a progressive output from the cable box matched to a progressive input on the TV would be the ideal set up.

2. John S

John S Producer

Well this could very well be a bug of sorts. But most sets, do not perform the progressive scan when 480p is recieved. Your Tv may also have a better Progressive scan than your DVD in which case, 480i could be a better source for it.

Hard to say, I won't have my DCDi Progressive Scan player for a few more days. On my set it is at least easy to compare, as one set of component input if for 480i so the TV can do the progressive scan, the other is for 480p and HDTV.

I find TV's that don't allow you to turn it off comepletely a little frustrating, but so far it doesn't seem to be an issue with owners.

So what your finding is that 480i looks better than 480p as far as input sources go?

There is another thread titled giving up on 480p some where on here. He found the very same thing. Tell you the truth, if you know the TV is performing progressive scan, and your happy with your DVD picture quality, I don't see anything wrong with input'n 480i to the set via component cables.

Although it is the sort of thing that can drive one crazy I admit. Just not knowing what 480p input on my set looks like is driving me crazy so I know where your comming from on it.

3. Thomas Brown

Thomas Brown Extra

DVD, digital TV and HDTV (1080i) video quality is spectacular. It is the analog channels from Cox that are really poor. With the 480p source and 480p input they are grainy and, for lack of a better description, "wormy". When you get close to the screen you can see the pixels squirming or shifting around. With 480i source and 480p input the pixel shifting goes away but the video flickers in a slow stobe effect. Unfortunately most of the Cox network programming is still analog.