Need Opinion About This Projector / Set-up

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Guy_K, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

I am thinking about buying this model used:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...rLite_7250.htm

I was wondering if this would be a good projector. The site says it has 1080p capability, it seems excellent via the stats... Though it is a bit old.

I'm a noob to projectors, I was wondering if this would work with the upcoming blu-ray / HD-DVDs? I was also wondering which cables I would need to hook it up to my hard-ware, and what settings to use with it.

I always seem to overlook something though and I have a feeling I may be overrating this to myself due to projector naivity.

Thanks for any help!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Please ask that question here in Display Devices. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not for asking about specific models.

3. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I'm sure it was a great projector in it's time, but it's a bit dated now. Unless you are getting a killer deal on it, I would pass and look to the newer projectors, which have come a long way, in the last few years, to look just as good or better than many of their direct view counterparts. While the projector in question is still respectable in the area of brightness, at 1300 lumens, for example, the contrast is severely lacking at 200:1. Most of today's machines are rated at (and capable of) well over the 2000:1 spec and are just amazingly brilliant. A digital input (e.g. HDMI) is desirable as well, especially if you are thinking about HD-DVD or Blue-ray, although I don't know of any display that is currently capable of 1080p.

The top selling models of today include the Panasonic AE900U and the Sanyo Z4, for LCD, and the Optoma HD72 for DLP. They can be had on the street for $1500-$2000. This is a good place to start.

DLP projectors used to have an advantage over LCD projectors in the past, but that's not necessarily so anymore.

Good luck in your search.

4. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

It likely needs a new bulb (probably about $500), and the blue polarizer is probably burned. Unless you are getting it for free, I would pass on it. If you are getting it basically for free, it would be a good practice toy for getting into the projection world.

It will not work with the new high def players. It has component inputs, and my understanding is that the new formats will not send high def signals through component, only through HDCP compliant connectors.

5. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Thanks for the responses

I've put this projector aside and have done some more research today as well.

I thought I should find a DLP projector because I don't like to see to see pixels (prefer smoother without pixellation) but for my price range I can't find a DLP projector with a good resolution.

I'm now honing in on the Panasonic 700 which has a nice res, 720p, nice contrast, and brightness.

Will research the Optoma HD72 as well

Thanks for the help!

6. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Are you looking at this one used, as well? If not, I would strongly recommend you take a closer look at the updated 900, get a demo, if possible and prepare to be astounded. You can sit closer to the image projected from a 900, than probably any other projector in its class, right now, and not see pixelation. It won't cost you that much more than the 700 on the street, either.