need new tv new budget $750. JVC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Francisco_C, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Francisco_C

Francisco_C Agent

I need a new tv soon and my budget is $750. I was gonna spend more but ran into problems. I watch mostly Sat/DVD. I want one that can do anamorphic squeeze even if its through service menu. Picture quality a must and if possible black in color. I was looking at the JVC av36320 at Best Buy. any advice would be helpful. Brand not important just picture quality. Thanks

2. Dominic Scolaro

I just looked at the specs of that tv, and although I don't have any experience with it, it doesn't seem to have a whole lot to offer. My opinion is this... Buy a smaller digital TV in that price range.

The Samsung TXM2797HF is in that price range. Not sure if it will squeeze, but regardless, I'm pretty sure the display will be better than that of the analog JVC, especially with a progressive scan DVD player. That's just an example and I'm going by specs only. I have no experience with the Samsung either. Look around and do your homework.

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    The JVC you're looking at does require a visit to the service menu to do the squeeze. A couple of years ago their "D" series TVs had a problem with this in that they wouldn't squeeze the raster down enough, leaving you with an inaccurate picture. It's possible that this model may have the same problem.

Adjusting the TVs geometry via the service menu every time you want to watch an anamorphic DVD gets old VERY fast, believe me. In my opinion you'd be better off looking at the smaller 32" JVC AV32F703 or the Sony WEGA KV32FS100. The JVC has a one-button 16:9 mode on the remote and the Sony has it available via a simple menu selection. Both are flat CRTs with component inputs and are great sets for the money. Best Buy has them priced at $699 and $799 respectively with a 0% financing and no payments until January 2004 deal going on right now. If you're a "preferred customer" and got your coupons in the mail this week, you can also knock an additional 10% off the price. That's hard to beat.