Need new system - but overwhelmed!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Graeme, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Graeme

Graeme Auditioning

Jan 24, 2005

I just joined because I'm getting overhwelmed and a bit confused on what is out there. I hope to learn more from the collective knowledge here, and I have a few questions to ask... that very well may have been answered here before.

My current system is about a 6-year old AIWA shelf-system stereo with 5 speakers and a subwoofer. 3-CD tray, cassette, AM/FM tuner, and what is really great... two video inputs so I could hook up our TV and DVD to it. There are two problems here, though.

One, the CD player is no longer recognizing about 80% of my CDs. It spins them up, can't recognize them, and moves onto the next CD. It never used to do this, so I don't know what is wrong. I've cleaned the lens many times and it sometime seems to help... most often not, though. My limited experience with electronics has shown me that most often it is more expensive to fix a system like this than it is to get a new one. (Gotta love that throw-away society attitude!)

My second beef is that the system really ISN'T a true home theater system. It only simulates surround-sound by delaying the sound going to the rear two speakers by a minute amount of time. Although I didn't mind this at first... now that I think the stereo is on it's way out, I'm considering getting a system that really has true theatre-surround.

Now here is the big thing.... I would LOVE to have the same kind of system, but with true surround. I already have a separate single-DVD player and most of the "package deal" home theatre systems have a DVD player included AND they don't have am/fm/cassette/CD players....

Do any of you know of a multi-disc CD shelf system that I can hook up to my TV and DVD player and get TRUE (not simulated) surround. And finally, not spend a ton of money? I think my system originally cost around $450 and that is about what I can afford, still. Not enough? OK... how about one that doesn't look like it is some futuristic, industrial robot?

Thanks in advance for the help, folks!
  2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003

By definition, the least expensive real surround sound is going to be an Onkyo 770 system, add the CD changer of your choice.

I have yet to hear an all inclusive system (like with built in DVD/CD give any sort of real surround experience.

best of luck with it all.
  3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999

Since you're asking for specific purchasing advice to build some sort of home-theater system, I've moved your post to here in A/V Systems. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not specific purchasing advice.