need new speakers with space issues and wacky budget

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Geordy, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

Apr 21, 1999
    ok, so my wife and i are moving to nyc from chicago (got my medical residency out there).

we sold our apartment with my 5 energy e:xl's included (they were so finely mounted by me).

so now i NEED new speakers!!!

my wife and i have a budget that ranges up to $900, but we also have space restraints (rears must be thin or small and they will be on the back walls facing in toward main listners). Red dots are proposed speaker placements, purple x is main seating position.

One option: Fronts - B&W LM1, Center and Rear - B&W VM1. Total cost $900

Another: Hsu VT-12; total cost $300 + mounts

I know these are two very different sets, but the Hsu has gotten such great reviews that it's hard to pass up. we will be living in this place for 5 years, and by no means is this going to be the last set of speakers i am going to buy.

I have a Denon AVR-2700 receiver and an SVS CS 20-39 powered with a Samson amp (that is coming with me [​IMG] )

So to summarize: need small surrounds with a good sound and easy mounting capabilities.
  2. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

Apr 11, 2004
    To broaden your surround choices you could do what I did. I needed to mount a pair BIC America DV52si on the walls, but they had no provisions for wall mounting. While walking around a Dixieline Lumber store out here in CA I came across some small shelves that were perfect for what I needed - see HERE. I've got the same ones shown with the speaker on it. This particular line of shelves is hard to find in the States since the company is located in Canada, but you should be able to find something similar.