Need new speakers all around

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eggert, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Eggert

Eggert Agent

Hello,
    I am attending grad school in the US (I am from Europe) and after two months without my hometheater system I am simply going crazy [​IMG] . So I have decided to ship my receiver over here (Denon AVC-A10SE, equivalent to the Denon AVR-4800), but instead of shipping my speakers over here (cheep JBL speakers) I wanted to check out the possibility of purchasing speakers here (no TV, sold my RPTV before coming here - still deciding what to do in that area).
    I need a set of 5 speakers (no subwoofer - the neighbours would not like that [​IMG] ). The only real condition is that this has to be as cheap as possible, but at the same time comprimise as little on quality as possible (a tall order, I know).
    Space
    I have space for moderately sized speakers (bookshelf speakers and such) so we are not necessarily talking about small wall mounted speakers (but any suggestions are appreciated).
    Budget
    A maximum budget of 500 - 700 USD. As a student I can't really justify anything more than that. But if at all possible I would like to have this as cheap as possible (so don't limit replies to speakers costing 500 - 700).
    Specific brands
    No specific brands. Although I have to say that I do not want Bose. I know my budget does probably not allow it but Paradigm have always sounded good to me. But, no preference really (as a student price has to be an absolute nr. 1 concern).
    Any suggestions?
    Best regards,
    Eggert
    P.s. I live in Boston.

2. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Give a room size and budget and we should be able to help otherwise you're going to have to assume that most of us won't respond.

3. Eggert

Eggert Agent

Ooops, sorry. I have updated my initial post with the necessary information.

Best regards,
    Eggert

4. Jeff Gre

Jeff Gre Auditioning

The B&W 300 series runs about $300 for a pair of bookshelves and the LC# center channel is about $200. They sound great for the price.

5. Dan Workman

Dan Workman Extra

If you like Paradigm, then I would suggest a setup of Paradigm Titans for mains ($219), CC170 ($199) for center and Atoms ($189) for surrounds, which puts you at roughly $600 plus tax.

6. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

I'd just use 4 Titans. IMO, the Titans blow away the Atoms in every single away. For only 40 bucks more a pair, I think its worth it to use them as surrounds.

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

For cheap and small (well under $500) you might want to look at the JBL NSP1 package for $250. Since you're not going to be using a sub, JBL N28 mains w/ the NSP1 package would make a solid setup that would go down as low as 50hz. You could either sell the spare N24s or save them for a 6.1 or 7.1 setup.

Paradigm Cinema series would be another good option. Any combination of Atoms, Titans, or even micros would be great. If you keep your eye out, you might even be able to find some used mini-monitors at a good price.

One thing to keep in mind (unrelated to speakers) is that your receiver won't use the same voltage/plugs as here in the US. I'm not sure how to take care of that, but it's something to look in to.

Hope this helps

8. Eggert

Eggert Agent

Thanks for your responses guys!
    I apparantly need to find a Paradigm dealer here in Boston.
    But even this (4 Titans for a total of $438 and the center for $199, giving me a total of $637) is getting a bit to expensive (ah, the joys of being a poor student again [​IMG] ). Sticking with 2 Titans and 2 Atoms (plus the center) gives me a total of 607, which is not to bad I think.
    If anyone can point me to something for under $500 I would be eternally grateful. But I am definitely going to check out the Paradigms. One question though. The receiver is rated at 140x5 if I remember correctly, will the Titans/Atoms handle that (the Titans have a suitable amplifier power range of 15-100, so I don't think they will match well with my receiver)?
    With regards to the receiver (voltage and stuff), I have all that taken care of. Bought a transformer before coming here that will do the trick (a huge, heavy thing!).
    Best regards,
    Eggert
    (I miss money [​IMG] )