Need new receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike^M, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Mike^M

Mike^M Auditioning

Hi all,

This is a great site so I thought I would see what you thought about my new setup and whether or not I should upgrade.

I am setting up a theater/tv area in my unfinished basement. Drywall is going up so most of the planning has been done.

My current equip:
    Kenwood VR-6050
    Infinity SL40 fronts
    Infinity video 1 center(probably need to upgrade this too)
    JBL N24II for the surrounds
    - I had previously used Infinity SL20's for surrounds but I am ceiling/wall mounting my surrounds and the 20's were too big, IMO.
    JBL 12" 150w sub

I had been using the a separate 2 channel receiver to get my 6.1 setup running but I have bought 2 Aura bass shaker pros to put under the sectional and I am not sure how to use the second receiver for my rear surround and still get the bass shakers to work without a 3rd amp. Is there a way for this?

For this reason, I think getting a true 6.1 receiver would makes things easier. I wanted to get the kenwood 6060 before but could not afford it. I love the sound of the 6050 but have read alot about the Denon 1604 and the Onkyo 501. There are some good deals on these 3 receivers so I wonder if it would be worth it to upgrade the 6050?

BTW, my room is about 15-20 ft wide and my surrounds will be about 20' from the tv, right behind/above the sectional.

Thanks for any replies and suggestions.

2. Mike^M

Mike^M Auditioning

Well,

I have narrowed my choices for reciever to a, HK 325, and Denon 1804/884 or a Yamaha 640/5660. I am really leaning towards the HK at ths point. I really like the look of the 330 but I don't think I can spend that much and there are no big performance differences.

Can anyone tell me if I can run the zoneII feature and 2 bass shakers off a spare stereo receiver? They don't have to run at the same time since the shakers will run when movies are going and the ZoneII speakers will be outside on the patio. Seems like this would work.

Thanks

3. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

In my personal opinion, i think the H&K is the best of the choices...you might be able to get a yammie 1400 around that price as well...at under $500...

Rich

4. Mike^M

Mike^M Auditioning

I was introduced to the Denon 2803 today. Seems comparable to the 1804 but has more power. I have actually been looking at refurbs to tryand save some money. I did see a refurb for the Denon 884 for under $300!