What's new

Need new receiver! How important is THX certification? (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Grip
I am about to replace my receiver and thinking about buying the Denon 3802, but it is not THX certified. Most THX certified receivers are much more expensive. Are they worth the difference? How much stock should I put in that classification? There are some THX certified receivers (Kenwood has one) that are THX certified and CHEAPER, but do not seem to offer as much "punch". What are your thoughts?

Karim Nogas

Stunt Coordinator
My Denon-3200 is not THX-Certified and it has been going strong for four years.
IMO, THX certification is not the be-all and end-all in components.
------------------
You don't need a centre channel.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Unless your whole system is THX certified I wouldn't worry about it. Look at receivers from Outlaw, Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer (only the Elite series), Marantz, and Yamaha. Those tend to be the better ones.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
To have those 3 letters on your receiver will cost you about $1000 extra. That's the most expensive sticker I ever heard of.

Kelly,
I am one of the few, I enjoy the THX processing on most material. Why I do agree that it isn't a must for 5.1 encoded material, imo it really makes Pro-logic shine.
I tend to use it better than 90% of the time on 5.1. I do also have THX speakers and tend to agree with Bryan.
Until I had THX speakers and receiver working together, I didn't hear any real gain. Of course this is my opinion.
There are tons of great equipment that's not THX certified. To buy a piece simply because it is, isn't necessary. I purchased mine because I truley like the post processing sound.
Have fun with your auditions!
[Edited last by John Holmes on November 02, 2001 at 05:26 PM]

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
I agree with John - it may be nice to have, but it is not necessary.
I have the 3802, and I don't miss THX one bit. It performs to (and probably exceeds) the THX performance specs, but doesn't include the THX post processing. I wouldn't use it anyway, as I don't want any more processing of the sound then I have to (but that is my opinion). If I had it, then maybe I would use it, but I have never thought twice about it.
If you are worried about the performance specs - don't - as almost any good receiver will perform to the specs. If you want the post processing, then I would look at the THX certified ones. In my opinion, that is all you will gain by going with a THX certified receiver.
Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks