need new dvd player to replace our current panasonic rp56

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Wolert, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Mike Wolert

Mike Wolert Extra

hi,

havent posted here in forever as i am in military and have been busy and such. anyways glad to be back. my sisters panny rp56 has been giving her problems since day one. it freezes and the locks up. you can turn it off and back on but it will not read disc it will be stuck at reading and it wont open or close. it shoes error code do03 or something, it was in the shop to get repaired the first time, and she said it does this every so often but fixes it self after a few days, it just did it now and we are fed up with it. so whats a good fairly cheap replacement that will do dvds just as good or better then the rp56. i have been out of home theater for a while and have no clue. i appreciate anyones help and God bless.

take care

Mike

2. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

These should get you started:
    JVC XV NP10S
    Toshiba SD 3960
    Yamakawa 288
    Fairly inexpensive, with good PQ and Sound.
    Vb

3. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Try talking with Sango over at AVS - who knows the in and outs of the 2002 line players and can fix them too. Most likey it's a spindle motor/optical pick up failure (most likely H02 or H07) and Sango knows how to take care of that.

4. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

I had the RP56 (before it died on me) and I have the Toshiba 3960. The Toshiba doesn't come close to the RP56's PQ.

5. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

Well, as you see, you're about to get inundated with responses!!![​IMG]
    If they let you take them back, without any re-stocking fee, try them all!!![​IMG] [​IMG]
    Vb

6. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Kelly:

Did you get rid of the RP56 or still have it with you?

---

Mike:

Do you plan to repair this unit? It would be unforunate if you get rid of the unit since it's one of the best players out there for the price/performance. I recommend you contact you contact Sango.

7. Mike Wolert

Mike Wolert Extra

yay! it started working again, it seems if u leave it unplugged for a few hours/ overnight it will work again next time u plug it in. so odd. i love this player though, i was wanting to not get rid of it, thanks for all the input, i guess we will just put up with this glitch

8. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Hi Mike:

The solution is only temporaily because one of the parts is already failing and it should be replaced. The work arounds will keep working until they no longer work so just be careful with the unit.

9. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

always be careful with your unit