What's new

Need new DVD player--DVD-A/SACD possible... (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
As some of you may have heard, my DVD player was stolen so I need to replace it. Well, when life gives you lemons, you have to make lemonade--so it sounds like upgrade time! I am looking for suggestions. I was thinking of spending no more than $400.
I have a 36XBR450 with a progressive mode and 3:2 pulldown. The picture looked great with the Pioneer DV-333 interlaced player I had. Will a

tony randall

Stunt Coordinator
Lemonade - just in time for summer!
I have the Tosh 4700 and so far have no complaints with watching DVD-video - T2 was unbelievable! A friend has the JVC and he is quite satisfied. Although the Panny seems to be held in high regard on this forum, I see mixed reviews on other sites, and also see that returned a lot at the local stores.
The Panny has 10 bit/27 mHz video DAC and 24 bit/96kHz audio DAC. The Toshiba, Pioneer and perhaps the JVC are 10-bit/54mHz video DAC and 24-bit/192kHz audio DAC if that matters to you.
As far as the DVD-A goes, I haven't been overwhelmed with it, and personally like SACD better. I have a couple posts out there if you want to see more detailed comments. You do have to listen to a few discs yourself and decide. Check out www.highfidelityreview.com for SACD/DVD-A listings.
What I have not tried yet is the DTS 5.1 discs. What I understand is that you are passing the signal through the optical/coax cable, and would avoid the need for the 6 audio cables that you must use for DVD-A/SACD.
Best wishes.

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
You may want to add the brand spankin' new Denon 1600 to your list. It retails for $499, but you can probably pick it up, well, *close* to $400 (try 6th Ave.) It's a hot-rodded RP-56 with DVD-A with at least some form of bass management. Looks promising.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I'd agree that the Denon 1600 looks promising if you want to get into DVD-Audio. It, like the Panasonic RP-56, has a 10 bit/54 Mhz video DAC and performs well for a player in it's price range.

If you want to get into SACD the Sony 500 would be a good choice, but you don't get progressive scan.

The XBR has a very good line doubler though. I've done comparisons with it doing the de-interlacing and a few progressive players--it's very close, so progressive scan might not be as critical as it would be with a larger rear projection set.

The Panasonic RP-91 would be a good choice, as well. You could find it online near the price you are looking at or you could wait for Panasonic's new models that will be coming out shortly.

As far as DVD-A vs. SACD goes, it's a tough call. They are both very good, but SACD does have more titles available now.

DJ

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
The problem with the DVD-A/SACD choice is that, at least for me, there are enough titles in BOTH formats to warrant getting both. With the Sony 775 dropping to under $200, you might want to get a DVD player with DVD-A, and then get an SACD player now cheap, or later. Look at the SACD catalog and see if there's anything you like that might warrant buying an SACD player.

Mike

JimN

Stunt Coordinator
I currently use the Sony NS500V. I think it sounds remarkably good when used for SACD playback, especially considering its price. The bass management on it is not the greatest but it is certainly better than the first generation Sony players.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I have a Toshiba 4700 and it works great. DVDA brings a whole new life to music. I also have the Sony NS500 that I happened upon an open box for $109. I've never watched a movie on it but instead got it as a cheap way into SACD. I can tell you for a cheaper SACD player it sounds great. The 500 has setting to disable video circuitry when used only as a CD player. SACD also goves new life to music. Either format is well worth looking into.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Thank you all for the suggestions--I will be looking around over the next week and I think that I'll be buying at the end of the week or next weekend. I hate not having a DVD player! :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks