What's new

Need new amp for passive subs (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I have a pair of SVS 16-46CS+ subs that I've been running off a Samson S1000 amp for the past 5 years. Well tonight I noticed that the amp was indicating the protection circuit was tripped for one of the amps and power is definitely not being sent to the sub. I removed all connections to the amp and that didn't change anything, so I'm assuming it's dead, and it's well out of warranty.

I sent an e-mail to SVS to see what they recommend, but I figured I should go ahead and get some recommendations for a replacement amp.

I've seen the Behringer EP1500 (450 watts RMS @ 4 ohms per channel)and EP2500 (750 watts RMS @ 4 ohms per channel) for what seem like really cheap prices at J&R and Partsexpress.com. Anybody have any other suggestions? I have yet to find any Samson amps being sold by someone I'm familiar with.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is it a circuit breaker type circuit? If so, did you push it back and see if that fixed it?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you go with Behringer, budget an extra $12 for a super quiet, 80cm, 24vdc fan. It sounds like a small airplane with the stock fan.

-Robert

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well it'll be in another room, so no big deal there. There's enough other stuff on the rack making noise I doubt it would make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks