What's new

need new 16:9 hdtv (1 Viewer)

Robley

Grip
I will soon be buying a new t.v. Would like 16:9 hdtv.
I'm going to budget 2k. Any advice on what would be good?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Sony (KV34XBR800), Panasonic and Toshiba all make similar 34”, 16:9 HDTV, direct view sets, with excellent picture quality. They cost just a little over your $2,000 budget, but with careful shopping you may be able to find one at under $2,000. None of these sets is equipped with the tuner needed for HDTV, so you should budget another $500 for this. (My ranking is Sony 1A, Panasonic 1B and Toshiba a close 2). They are all very good.

Panasonic makes a 30” 16:9 HDTV for about $1,700. It’s picture quality is comparable to the sets mentioned above. It will also require a tuner for HD. Samsung also makes a 30” 16:9 set. Three different models. It costs $1,100 to $1,500, depending on the model. And they too will require an HD tuner.

Otherwise you should look at RPTVs.

Robley

Grip
thank you for the info...I was looking this weekend
and found a mitsubishi ws55809 which is a 55 inch
rptv sears quoted 2199.99 then abc warehouse offered
the same for 1999.00 with free delivery..the set looks good in the store..but I'm don't know much about them...
does this sound like a good deal...and is there quality
good..I appreciate any help as I'm new to this type
of tv and don't know much about them...:)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
RPTVs are not my favorites, but they certainly have the best price point, if you are concerned with a large set. Drawbacks are a narrow field of view, somewhat more frequent repair and alignment problems (especially if you move the set) and poor WAF.

None of these may be an issue for you, however. For example, if everyone is going to sit directly in front of the set, then the fact that the brightness and clarity fall off when being viewed from the side, is not an issue.

If none of these things are problems for you, then the price point for RPTVs can’t be beat. Mitsubishi has an excellent reputation for making quality RPTVs. I have not seen the model you mention, so I can’t comment. I’d compare it to others (and be careful as most demonstration TVs have boosted up the brightness to dazzle you) and go for what looks best to you.

Good luck!

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't trust the online store (I wouldn't), try to get Sears to price match them. Their policies are very ambiguous, so shop around for the most agressive salesperson and try to convince them that this site is legit. If this doesn't work, try to get a better price at one of the sites that Sears considers 'established' online merchants (there's a list at Sears.com), and have them price match that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks