What's new

Need Movie Recommendations For Very Religious Person (1 Viewer)

Michael Silla

Second Unit
"Catch me if you can" has a few scenes that go past just plain innuendo.

Think back of airplane :)

I had a thread like this one about a year ago. I can't rememebr the title but if you do a search you should find it. One common suggestion from folks was "North by Northwest."

I still haven't seen it but enough folks have praised it's merit.

Michael.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I agree, "Jonah" is a great film for all ages! Where was the DVD review for this one at Digital Bits or HTF? There needs to be one, because this is one great film on par with the Pixar films.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
my parents are relious.. and they hated signs.. even with the theme about the priest.. maybe signs is not a good movie to remcommend.

how about the original 1978 movie superman movie with christ reeve. has a great 5.1 soundtrack.

JACOB

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
My first thought was The Straight Story, but Jasen sniped me.

I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Jon

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Believe it or not, the great David Mamet actually managed to make a G-rated live action film with narry a cuss word, and it's dang good to boot: The Winslow Boy. Highly recommended.

I also highly, highly recommend Kundun. One's thoughts about Tibetan Buddhism shouldn't be a factor -- it's a universal story of moral courage and the nature of human suffering (I hear the screenwriter, who is now the ex-wife of Harrison Ford, was banned from the country for having written the film, but I can't imagine why -- I'm not a Buddhist, but it seems very respectful). I find it deeply moving and wonderfully filmed -- while lacking the impact and exceptional poignancy of Spielberg's Schindler's List (not yet on disc but reportedly due early next year), I'd say that much as non-Jews should still find that film an extraordinary and deeply personal journey, so too might non-Buddhists find the lesser, but still excellent, Kundun mesmerizing and moving (it's my pick for the best of Scorsese's pictures to date). Stories of the human heart are really quite universal, and most world religions have a great respect for the search for God and the effort to remain true to one's faith in times of crisis, a theme one can readily find in Kundun.

Unfortunately, Kundun is non-anamorphic. It's an OAR presentation, though.

My favorite among the stories of Christ is actually The Greatest Story Ever Told, an unpopular choice which I nevertheless find to be the most sheerly beautiful and among the most reverent cinematic tellings of His life. Charlton Heston is absolutely fantastic as John the Baptist. Mel Gibson has a Passion film coming next year (simply and directly entitled The Passion) sparking controversy already, with only a handful of people having yet seen it, so its release to theatres and, eventually, to DVD should prove interesting not only for the film itself, but the multitude of opinions it's likely to generate. Gibson directed it, but does not appear in the film.

Just a few thoughts -- I realize it's 10:00 on the East Coast right now, so the dinner date is well under way. :D

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I would go with "About Schmidt". It's an adult-oriented film but she probably will like it.

There is that brief scene with Kathy Bates getting in the hot tub, but the scene has a humorous point to it and I doubt it would be too embarrassing in its context.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Dude, I love it, but 'Toy Story' is a completely Atheist movie.

Oh, please. It's about talking toys. Have you even seen it?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Talking toys and animals are abominations in the eye of some sects. But don't dismiss Toy Story just because it's not overt in its message.

Toy Story warns of the dangers of blind faith, and shows that making the world a better place requires someone to take action. There's also the aliens in the Claw machine, who believe they are getting raptured(for lack of a better term) every time one of them gets nabbed. The entire movie is an atheist parable.

From an atheist movie review sight, read through it and I think you'll find more than enough to back it up-
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Cret...viereview.html

AND of course, Toy Story was written by the atheist who is a God of the Mortal Realm- Joss Whedon :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Michael, come on... I suppose you believe The Matrix films are an anti-capitalist allegory, too? (yes, I've actually read a bizarre, lenghty analysis detailing how the matrix world symbolizes capitalism and how Morpheus' freedom fighters represent the communist revolution. Go figure)

Remember the "Paul is dead" fiasco? Sometimes a movie IS just a movie.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, since you people obviously didn't read the link, here's the important part:

Begin by considering the characters. Buzz Lightyear starts as a delusion character who thinks he is a "space ranger." The delusion gives him his purpose, and he expends all his energy on fixing what he thinks is his space ship so that he can rendezvous with "star command" and complete his mission. He even recruits the other toys to help him. He is mystified that his attempts to contact star command by radio never receive any answer, but his conviction that star command exists remains unquestioned.
Have you seen such behavior in some theists?

Delusional belief, contrary to all evidence
An unwavering conviction that their belief makes them superior to others
A mistaken but fervent sense of purpose from their delusion
Devotion of inordinate amounts of time, energy, and money to their religion and its projects
Vigorous recruitment of others to their cause, without the slightest consideration that they may be doing others a disservice by that act
Have you seen such behavior in some theists?

[*]Delusional belief, contrary to all evidence
An unwavering conviction that their belief makes them superior to others
[*]A mistaken but fervent sense of purpose from their delusion
[*]Devotion of inordinate amounts of time, energy, and money to their religion and its projects
[*]Vigorous recruitment of others to their cause, without the slightest consideration that they may be doing others a disservice by that act
[*]Complete confidence in the "power of prayer," in spite of the deafening silence with which those prayers are answered[/list]
Woody stands in complete contrast to this. He is clearly aware that Buzz is delusional and is unable to convince anybody of it, least of all Buzz. Look at the way Buzz treats him, just like an extreme theist will so often treat an atheist. Listen to some of the dialogue:

Woody stands in complete contrast to this. He is clearly aware that Buzz is delusional and is unable to convince anybody of it, least of all Buzz. Look at the way Buzz treats him, just like an extreme theist will so often treat an atheist. Listen to some of the dialogue:

Woody: You are a TOY!!! You aren't the real Buzz Lightyear, you're an action figure! YOU are a CHILD'S PLAYTHING!

Buzz: You're a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.

Do conversations like that sound familiar?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Since I can't edit my post right now, sorry for the double paste section. But THAT is what makes Toy Story an atheist movie. It's very much set in the worldview and experiences of atheists. Please those who believe don't take offense to it, I realize that 98% of you aren't the frothing loons to which the description refers

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I did read the article, or else I wouldn't have offered an opinion... But thanks for the vote of confidence, there. For the record, I'm more of a non-practicing theist. I'll just find out the truth when I die. Or won't, whatever the case may be.

My point was, and is, that finding a pattern in a given work, doesn't mean said pattern was intended. If the creative team says that Buzz was meant to be a theist as seen through the eyes of an atheist, I'll concede, obviously. But while the analysis offered here is very thought-provoking, it's also just speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks