What's new

Need Movie Recommendations For Very Religious Person (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Unless your guest is a hardcore sports-hater, I would recommend last year's G-rated The Rookie (starring Dennis Quaid), or Remember the Titans (starring Denzel Washington) from 2001. Both are based on inspiring true stories, and are very well made and wonderfully acted. I saw both of these with a good friend who is VERY picky about seeing films with objectionable material and she loved them.

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
I'd stay away from movies that mention religeon at all. Certainly nothing controversial like LToC or thought provoking movies about the existance of God, etc. It will just make her feel uncomfortable. I assume by religeous you mean Christian. Of course stay away from nudity and profanity, especially "Jesus" and GD. I'd say don't be too worried about violence, but stay away from action movie style. I have no way of knowing her taste, but I'll just give you some titles that I enjoyed with no objectioable content and good transfers. I'm not sure if you meant the DVD should be 1-2 years old or the film itself.
1.Although it is kinda drawn out, if she likes movies she might enjoy Cinema Paradiso SE, the PG version because its not objectionable and is 40 minutes shorter.
2. Driving Ms. Daisy
3. Perfect Storm, wonderful movie, some language but if she can take Matrix she can take this
4. Forrest Gump, some off-screen sex and light nudity
5. Dr. Strangelove, some mild sexual humor, in essence.
6. Picnic at Hanging Rock, eerie, different Ausi movie

If I can think of some more good ones later I'll edit and post them. As you can see, these are not reference quality discs, but I have a feeling that if she's already seen U571 on your HT setup, then she knows what it can do and a lesser transfer isn't going to hurt anything; she'd probably like a good movie over a good transfer. If you sacrifice a little quality, there's a world of great old movies that anyone can enjoy today.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Why not Toy Story (1 or 2) Monsters, Inc., or Ice Age. They have an excellent transfer, great sound and are very clean and are suitable for adults as well as children.

You also might want to look into A Walk to Remember or The Mighty. These are great stories and are real tear jerkers. The sound is nothing special on either though since both are dialog driven movies.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I'll second many of the suggestions given here, especially Rabbit-Proof Fence, which is an absolutely superb film. I would also suggest steering clear of Last Temptation. Many devout Christians have serious issues with that film, and whether or not the complaints are valid is not really the point. The original intent here was to find a film that will not make the viewer in question feel uncomfortable or uneasy due to potentially controversial or objectional content. Along those lines, here are some additional recommendations:

The Remains of the Day (nothing objectionable)
Cast Away (mild language)
Edward Scissorhands (mild language and violence)
Fight Club...whoops! Just kidding.
Princess Bride (mild language)
Say Anything (mild language)
Truman Show (mild language)

Link Removed

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Looking at the shelf...

Chocolat
My Big Fat Greek Weeding
A Beautiful Mind
A Bug's Life
Cast Away
Contact
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
The Emperor's New Groove
The Fifth Element
Ice Age
Jurassic Park
Minority Report
The Others
The Perfect Storm
The Sixth Sense
Spider-Man
Thirteen Days
Titanic
Toy Story 1 & 2
X-Men

Well, at least these are the more family friendly movies of the last couple of years that I have...

--
H

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
If she liked the matrix, I think you should be ok with any movie that doesn't have swearing and nudity.

Regards

AXE

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Something doesnt make much sense here...

She is very religious??? She will not watch movies with cussing or sex scenes???

But, she will watch a movie such as The Matrix that is loaded with nothing but violence??? :confused:

That doesnt make much sense to me... I would think an extremely religious person wouldnt go near a movie like The Matrix with a 50 foot pole...

James Edward

Supporting Actor

The cursing and sexual innuendo prohibitions are mine, not hers. I would not be comfortable.

I see your point, but I don't want to turn this into a thread about why violence is more acceptable than nudity and sex. But judging by our esteemed motion picture rating association, it seems to be.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
How about some John Woo films, like The Killer or Hard Boiled? Your friend had no objection to The Matrix, and Woo is a devout Christian.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
For a real classic that has good religous morals while still maintaining an entertaining aspect to adults, why not try GARDEN OF ALLAH with Marlene Dietrich and Charles Boyer?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Thought of another one no one has mentioned,

Catch Me If You Can

It does show a prostitute getting screwed but it's not what you think. :D

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator

Ryan, I see where you are coming from on that one, but here's an interesting story. I was actually surprised the other night when I was hanging out with some friends and this topic came up. One of the folks present is a pastor and has a PhD in theology. We ended up getting into a good conversation on the theological symbolism in the Matrix. I was intrigued to hear his viewpoints on it.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything from Paul Thomas Anderson...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a joke?
Well Magnolia has alot of references to Exodus 8:2 :D

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I can't believe no one has mentioned Jonah: A Veggietales Movie. I find it to be a very funny film. And it's a good show piece for your HT, at least the picture aspect of it.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I don't think he is looking for a religious movie or about religion, but a non offensive one.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks