What's new

Need Movie Recommendations For Very Religious Person (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
We're having someone over for dinner and a movie on Friday.
I'm looking for some adult recommendations that don't have a lot of curse words and sex scenes. They don't need to be children's films, and I would prefer them to be no more than 1-2 years old

To give you an idea, she's been over twice before and has seen U-571 and The Matrix. Great sound and picture is a necessity. For example, LOTR-TTT is on my list of possibilities, but at 3 hours might just be too long for a dinner guest.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

StevenFC

Second Unit
Shadowlands or The Apostle would be my recommendation. Both are in my DVD list if you need a brief description.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
If you're willing to go to an older film, I'm sure they will find "A Man for All Seasons" to be absolutely wonderful.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Frequency might be a good choice. The DVD is fine picture-wise, but the content of the film doesn't make it ideal for demo material if that's part of your goal.

If you haven't seen the film, it's sort of a murder mystery with a strong family element to it. I don't remember strong language, nudity, drug use, or anything like that. There is some violence, but it certainly wouldn't be more than what you would find in the Matrix, and probably not more than an average cop show on TV.

Maybe the Patriot, though that one approaches 3 hours. It's been a while, but it might be closer to two-and-a-half hours.

Signs and Unbreakable are others I might recommend, though Unbreakable does seem to fall into the "love it or hate it" category. Some find it too slow. Signs might be a good choice, as it has a strong element of religious faith to it.

All of those are just a distraction, though, from my main recommendation. I really hope you'll consider giving Frequency a go if online summaries interest you. It's really an under-appreciated little gem, as far as I'm concerned.

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
Rabbit-Proof Fence. It's short, completely inoffensive, well-made and has an excellent music-based soundtrack. It's also a fine film.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
While Frequency is a good choice, Signs is an excellent film dealing with religion and faith. If you/they have never seen Signs, this is a must. It has a great, almost Hitchcockian horror story (not religious, more sci-fi) interwoven with the real message, which is about faith. Also, the picture on Signs is above average (not reference, but good) and the soundtrack has great subtle effects as well as some genuinely scary moments.

derek

Second Unit
Check out www.screenit.com . Excellent resource to examine all the possibly objectionable content. BTW I was disappointed in U571 as it had alot of GDs. As for some new recommendations Signs, 20000 Leagues under the Sea, LOTR or TTT, The Rookie, Spider Man, Disney fare (Treasure Planet), Jurassics Parks, Xmen, Spirit: Stallion of Cimarron, Star Trek:Nemesis, Star Wars EP1&2 for a few.
Blockbuster.com has a decent 100 family films recommendation at
http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/articl...T-710,00.html?

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I would reccommend the G-Rated The Straight Story.

It's quite a feat nowadays to find a G-rated film that's not geared towards children. It's a fine film and you won't cringe in front of your guests once, guarenteed!

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Exactly. I'm probably the one being overly prudish, but I myself want to be able to relax and enjoy. I'll give her a choice of the above, and see what she wants to watch.

Thanks again.

chris rick

Second Unit
The Last Temptation of Christ--and I mean that sincerely. For anyone who is truly "religious" this film represents one of the best explanations of Christ's life and how we can relate to it as individuals.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The Winslow Boy or The Spanish Prisoner. Surprisingly, both of these David Mamet-directed films have no bad language, nudity or violence, and I have very religious friends who loved them.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Chris as to The Last Temptation of Christ, but be forewarned that many Christians feel (incorrectly in my view) that this is an heretical work.

If your guests would be amenable to a silent film, The Passion of Joan of Arc is one of the greatest films ever made on any subject. The same director also made another highly recommended film, Ordet—this is a film almost solely concerned with religion and man’s relation to God.

For non-Christian religious films you might check out Kundun, about the search for and coming of age of a new Dalai Lama

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
For non-Christian religious films you might check out Kundun, about the search for and coming of age of a new Dalai Lama
Which many hardcore Christians consider to be a pagan leader. I'd say no-go

Go for Contact, at least that one fights both sides pretty well

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks