What's new

Need more NFL on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mitch_B

Grip
For the past couple of years I have wondered whether or not the NFL would release classic NFL games (in their entirety) on DVD. I have had enough of the "best of" stuff.

The handful of excellent Super Bowls, or even all of them would be a great start. How about the day the Buffalo Bills overcame a huge deficit to beat the Houston Oilers. Maybe a box set of classic Elway comebacks. The list could go on and on.

So I ask you, my associates in the HTF, does anyone have any info on this possibility? Should we who are interested write a letter, or even hundreds and thousands of letters?

Thanks for your time - I AM READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!

D

dan.kissel

I am VERY ready for some COMPLETE NFL games on DVD... especially Superbowls. Being a Steeler's fan, I can think of 4 sales for sure... and maybe a fifth so that I can review over and over again how Niel O'Donnell was paid to (literally) throw the game away. :angry:

MikeM

Screenwriter
I'd DEFINITELY be willing to see full games as well on DVD.
For the time being, ESPN's "NFL's Greatest Games" is a pretty good show as well which condenses many popular games of the past into a 30 minute format. It's well done, will full drives at key points in the game, announcers doing play-by-play, etc.
I'd especially like to see an extra with a full 360° Matrix like special effect to that "fumble" in Foxboro against the Raiders this year. :D

AaronP

Stunt Coordinator
I would LOVE to get Super Bowl XXXI in its entirety on DVD, not just the hacked up NFL Films version.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I would love to see this past years' Superbowl. Great game and a great half-time show by U2.

Peace,

DM

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that entire games are a must. Just think about all the extras they could have; locker room and sideline talks, how specific plays evolved and were developed during the season, alternate audio tracks with coaches and players.

I suggest that if HTF follows up on this, point out that they need to think big. Not just slap a game on a disc and put it in stores. The game should be the main focus of the disc, but have a tremendous amount of extras to raise the "need to buy" factor.

Mitch_B

Grip
Unfortunately the NE Patriots DVD out tomorrow is just another highlight real. I have the game until I delete it on TiVo. Sweeeeeet!!!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I picked it up tonight, even thou it's a NFL film it is a really well produced look at the entire seasonand not just the Playoffs and Superbowl, extras include a program on Patriot Voice Gino Cappelletti and Quarterback Steve Grogan. The video is 1.33 but excellent as well as the audio. Well worth Picking up to save this great season. And I have a tip. Buy one of these suckers for each one of the players on the 25 man roster for the Red Sox. AND MAKE THEM WATCHIT ! Maybe then they'll understand TEAM !

VikD

Auditioning
My favorite Patriot SB moment was in 1986 when they lost to the Bears (I'm a Bears fan BTW). I have that entire game on VHS still, along with the making of video for the Super Bowl Shuffle, which is still, one of the greatest songs of all time.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
"NFL films" doesn't film the entire game, they have film crews who use film (not video) on the sidelines to capture highlights only. Full games would require mixing between the broadcast video (which would be of questionable quality) and the sideline films (which would look great).

What I want is the original highlight reels with John Facenda doing the voiceover.... "soopabole thurteen"

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
One Day Alert for Pats fans in Boston:
Marc Edwards will be signing copies of the DVD today at the Borders store on Washington Street, starting around 11:30.

Thomas Reagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
I think Tebucky Jones is at the Strawberries on Memorial Drive in Cambridge as well.

Thos.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
In case anyone's interested, the Patriots disc includes the entire 12 minute U2 halftime show as an extra, according to a post at DVDTalk.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Just got back from the Emerald Square Mall in North Attleboro, MA and Pats center Damien Woody was there signing autographs in conjuntion with the release of the DVD. It was cool to meet him. My son was happy and I got the dvd for a decent price(cheaper than Best Buy).

DanHaya

Second Unit
I've taped every Super Bowl since Super Bowl XXV (Giants vs. Bills) and I've won auctions for tapes of older ones (you can take a wild guess as to where...lol). I agree, the NFL should look at putting the actual broadcasts out on DVD...but considering that a Super Bowl can last almost 4 hours, would there be enough room on the disc for it? I was thinking about getting a DVD-R drive and converting them from VHS to DVD, but since I have 8 hours of tape and a DVD-R only holds 4 hours of video, it doesn't make good sense right now.
You would think that with the popularity of ESPN Classic, that the various sports leagues would consider putting these great games out on DVD. Then again, maybe it's only a niche thing and wouldn't have enough mass appeal. It's a good question. Let's get some discussion on this! :)

DanHaya

Second Unit
By the way, the first commercial during the Super Bowl III broadcast (which I have) is a cigarette commercial! Very interesting!

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I'd buy Super Bowl DVDs from SBI (even though it wasn't called the Super Bowl then) to the present) if they contained the full game plus a lot of extras

Shawn C

Screenwriter
How about the day the Buffalo Bills overcame a huge deficit to beat the Houston Oilers.
Not to get off topic, but I will anyways.. :)
That was amazing when Jim Kelly got hurt and Frank Reich rallied the Bills. That was just an awesome game. I believe that was played in Houston. :)
It's too bad since that was Frank Reich's best game ever. I think he got traded to the Carolina and then the Jets and then Detroit, but it never worked out for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks