What's new

Need more help! Which Polk speaker? (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I'm installing a 7.1 channel home theater system for a neighbor of mine and so far they have picked out the following audio components (which should arrive Monday or Tuesday):
Denon 3802 receiver (with DTS-ES Discrete 6.1)-- using a cross over of 80 Hz. May add beefier power amps in the future for all channels (that's a-ways a way, though).
Polk Audio RT 55i (front and sides)-- 1" tweeter, dual 6 1/2" woofers.
Polk Audio CS400i (center)-- 1" tweeter, dual 6 1/2" woofers.
Polk Audio PSW650 subwoofer
Panasonic RP91K DVD-A/V player
Now we're debating the center back surround speakers...
Since there's a bit more space constraint in the back of the room they've narrowed the choices down to:
1)Polk Audio RT 35i-- 1" tweeter, single 6 1/2" woofer.
2)Polk Audio RT 25i-- 1" tweeter, single 5 1/4" woofer.
The difference in price is ~$90, not including tax. They're already teetering on the edge of their budget, but still want the most wide-range, coherent soundfield they can get... The system will also be for music and they like the DTS-ES music discs so far. They also love The Haunting in DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, which has a center back channel running at full force.
Here are the specs.:
RT 35i: http://www.polkaudio.com/home/specs....y=4&speaker=27
RT 25i: www.polkaudio.com/home/specs.php?category=4&speaker=26
Which model speaker of the two would you choose and why? I already know which pair I'd pick, but perhaps if there is a concensus, maybe the RT 25i's would work.
Thank you!
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on August 05, 2001 at 11:12 PM]

Dre Witt

Grip
I'm currently using wall mounted RT35s for my front channels and my surronds and a CS300 for the center with my Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX receiver and Elite 12" Sub. When I upgrade this fall to an 7.1 receiver I'll probably go with RT25s for the rears since they'll be close to the listening area. I'd might even go with the small bipoles they have, to spread the sound more. By the way, I love the sound I get from my Polks.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Dre. :)
I could use some more opinions too. Trying to get a few just so I have a cross section of home theater enthusiasts.
Keep 'em coming!
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Go with your gut...get the RT-35i's. I have a pair hooked up to my rear channels and I am extremely pleased with them. I had them as front's before getting my RT-600i's, and they performed admirably there too. Since your RT55's use the 6.5" drivers, why not keep it uniform all around and get the 35's?
-Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

JohanK

Second Unit
I'm with Stacey...get the 35s. They go a little lower so they'll sound better when crossed over (in theory anyway); also, they closer match the 55s with the funky front baffle thingy and driver size.
Just my 2 cents...
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not to go with the flow, but I think the 35s are the way to go also.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks