Need more greatest Hits for DVD-A & SACD!

Discussion in 'Music' started by RobBenton, Sep 29, 2003.

1. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

This is what they need to do to get more people interested in these formats and get me (and I think others) to buy more discs.. I like some of these artists they are releasing but often times not all of a CD and not enough to spend $15-20 on. Especially some of the older artists who have a large catalog why not release a bunch of greatest hits disc and then follow up with certain individual CD's that defined the artists career? I want REM but not all the separate discs! I want Queen but again not all in separate discs! Anyone else feel this way?

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I agree completely! I think The Eagles greatest hits vol 1 is the biggest seller of all time. That should translate into many sacd dvd-a sales as well. Silverline has a couple of "various artists" disks avaible. Classic rock, country and I think I remember a "show tunes" as well. Anyway, I'm also looking for more of this type. We need to make more people aware of these new formats. GENE

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I kind of feel that populating the high-res market with compilations would make the format seem like a novelty.

Then again, I generally despise "greatest hits" comps and the likes for album bands.

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I totally agree with more greatest hits albums on hi-rez. There are many artists that I like to sample, especially on hi-rez. But if I have to purchase an individual album to sample an artist, I rather buy a less-expensive CD.

Interestingly, SACDs released by the major music companies in Hong Kong are almost always compilations or "Greatest Hits" albums. Given the size of the market, SACDs (hardly any DVD-A's are released there) has taken off nicely.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    There are quite a few greatest hits SACD's available. Johnny Winter, The Byrds, and Aerosmith off the top of my head. Then there's the several Sony soundtrack albums out that feature multiple artists, plus several labels have samplers out, the AudioQuest sampler is my fav.

I'm like Mike, I generally don't like greatest hits packages. The HIT songs are the ones I've heard too many times. Due to ray-dio play, play, play, play, play, often times the hits have turned into MISSES as far as I'm concerned.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Warner Brothers owns Black Sabbath. Now that would rock on DVD-A! Can you imagine War Pigs with an aggressive high-res surround mix? Holy crap but that would rock.

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

How about a small sampler disc included with an artist's CD?

I have an album by The Supreme Beings of Leisure (SBL) that included a dvd with four videos & each used a 5.1 Dolby Digital mix of that song. The mixes ranged from ambient to aggressive. These give a person a very good idea of what surround music is like (and a stereo 48kHz/16bit PCM track was also included). The whole enchilada (CD + dvd) cost only 15 bucks (unfortunately, this album isn't nearly as good as their first one. Their is also a separate dvd-video sampler for this album too which I own. It includes two 5.1 videos, a bonus track and an artist interview).

So what would stop them from including a full-blown dvd-audio sampler disc?

Hey, if AOL/Warner has the bucks to put all those AOL cd-roms in every nook & cranny of the planet, it can't be a big deal for this!

LJ

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Hmnnn, I forgot...The Zombies Greatest Hits.

12. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Everything the Zombies did was great (IMHO)

13. George See

George See Second Unit