What's new

Need lots of advice (1 Viewer)

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Okay iam buying new speakers for my surround sound setup but have NO idea what I should be looking for. Iam looking to spend about 500 on each of the following: front speakers, back speakers, center channel, sub, and reciever. So in total Iam willing to spend 2500 dollars, canadian that is though. Can someone please help me out here?

Jason GT

Second Unit
You've been getting a lot of help already; the final buying power lies in your wallet. HT is supposed to be fun, not some chore. :)
General guidelines culled from some of the collective wisdom on this forum:
10% cables + connectors
30% receiver
60% speakers
Adjust the last two numbers a bit to suit your tastes. The cable portion of the budget goes quicker than you'd think, especially if you start buying speaker brackets and stands, so don't omit that from your budget.
A lot of your questions have already been answered here on this forum; you may find the 'search' function useful. The HT Primer is highly recommended reading.

Reid K

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks I have put all the advice together I have a list of some potentials, and I will go listen to them now etc. Just one thing iam still blurry about. Would it be worth my while to put a pair of tower speakers as my rear speakers? Most likely same as my front?

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
I find rear speakers rarely get much of a workout. I've actually moved my rears up front for a while to break them in some more.

I think a timbre matched but smaller version of your fronts would do fine for the rears. I think for most situations, better mains will be much more noticable than having mid grade matched fronts and rears.

also, I wouldn't go with the thinking of $500 for each piece of gear. Think of the speaker budget as a whole and divvy as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks