What's new

Need LOOOOONG cables for running sub, where to get? (1 Viewer)

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to estimate that I am going to need cables in excess of 20-30 feet to from my receiver to my sub. Does anyone know where the best place to get them is, cost is somewhat of an issue as I can't afford premium cables at this point.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Buy a 25-foot RadioShack black RG6 cable with F-terminals for $7. Buy two F-to-RCA adapters for under $5 each and there you are. Another option is go to a custom stereo store and have the back shop cut you an RG6 to the exact length and still use the F-to-RCA adapters from RadioShack (I was able to find a WHITE RG6 for decor!)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I second the RG6 as this is what I use in my system with the exception of I soldered my own RCA ends on it rather than using the adapters. Much cheeper than buying a sub cable that long & will perform just as good if not better.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
FYI, I have a 50' run of RG6 for my second sub to be located at the back of the room. I second this approach.

NateD

Auditioning
I bought at 25' AR subwoofer cable at Best Buy. Don't remember how much, but it wasn't ridiculous.

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all, I think that looks like a great solution. I may end up needing longer then I originally thought, I didn't realize just how high my ceilings are and may need to go with a 50 footer.

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
What is the difference between the radio shack and the crutchfield cable? They look identical to me

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
One other thing, would 14 guage speaker wire be suffecient for my HT? Home Depot has a 350' spool for $39, seems like a good deal. I'll be needing a lot because I'll be making 4 runs of 50' each along with the cable for the sub.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
You should be ok with the 14awg if you using smaller speakers, but ideally you would wont to use at least 12awg for that long of a run. Myself I would use 12awg for anything over 25'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks