What's new

Need longer wire runs for front 3 speakers, should I make surrounds same length? (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
I need to run 3 45ft runs of speaker wire for my main front 3 speakers, but for my surrounds I could go as short as about 15-20ft.

Can I make the surround speaker wire length shorter than the mains without any audible difference, or should I just make all the wire runs at 45ft to keep them all even?

Also I have been told it is not good to coil excess wire because it can be bad for the current going through the wire and ultimately degrade the sound for that speaker. Is this myth or reality? If it is reality, what is the best way to deal with excess wire so there will not be any harmful consequences to the sound?

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
speed of light = 3x10^8m/s.

=984251968ft/sec

in other words there will be a 30 ns delay to the 45 ft speakers as opposed to the 15 ft ones. :)

Hope that helps

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
So I will be good to do 20 ft runs in the back and 45ft runs for the front? I will be using the same 12awg wire all around.

Sorry, I have no idea how long a nanosecond is. The computer I have is a P1-75. It is from the stone age! That will be the next upgrade after the theater is complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks