need LONG audio cable (100ft)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bernard L, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Bernard L

Bernard L Stunt Coordinator

I wanna hook up my computer upstairs to my dad's home theatre receiver in the basement.

is there any audiocable that could reach 100ft without severe degrading?

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

100 feet? Thats pretty long. You should be able to find something that long from Radio Shack. I used a cable that plugs into the sound card and gives you 2 RCA's on the other end. I can't remember if its just one cable or if I had to connect one cable onto an adapter. I think you'll find what you need at Radio Shack even if you have to couple some cables together.

3. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

I'd suggest looking into getting an optical cable and an optical soundcard and sending a Digital signal to the basement. THis can also be done with Coax, without severe degradation.
    Sam

4. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

100ft from a computer may prove a little bit of a challenge. If you cant move the computer closer then pick up a decent cable. I'm sure this will cause the anti-cable bunch to get exited but...

I wouldnt recomend Radio shack in this case. Try avcable.com they sell higher spec cables for a reasonable price. Maybe not the best source for high end audio cable but in your case they should be ideal. avcable.com are a custom cable maker and from what I hear offer good service as well.

5. SamRoza

I run a length of about 30 ft with no trouble. I use Crestron cable. It's a triple-shielded, 6 conductor cable. If you are sending a digital signal, it'll be no problem to go 100' I don't think. Crestron or like-shielded cables will cost you upwards of .30 a foot.

Sam

6. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Toslink is designed for 30 feet. Coax digital is expected to be run up to 100 feet. If you go coax way, try first with coax running through staircase, to see if both units will synch - I have to replace cable and some connectors on patch cords to get it working; AVM-2 was very picky about signal and had troubles locking in.
    For analog level, considr using good quality coax; Canare is one of brands to look at.
    Some pages to peruse:
    http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/DIYCable.htm
    http://www.diycable.com
    and if you need more help, Brad at http://www.bettercables.com will make cables specially for you - he pulled me out of troubles with my long signal runs...
    _zjt

7. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Unless you have a big budget avcable (gepco cables)is still your best bet. Canare based cables are a good option but the cost is higher for very little gain. A cost effective option is the DIY approach using canare cables.

Look into KustomKables.com for ready made Canare cables

I would not recomend Diycable or bettercables in this case unless cost is not an object? A company that sells similar cables(usually cheaper) to Diycable is Rhinocables.com

IMO I just dont think you need this kind of cable quality for a pc based cable run. This list should allow you to shop around and compare cable specs and prices.

8. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

I see no reason why regular (or quad-shield) RG6 coax would not work just as well as any other premium cable for this application. Just use RCA to F connector adapters and your all set go with minimal cost. I use this for about a 35' run with no problems. Good luck.

Jay

9. Bernard L

so I could use RCA cables upto 100ft? (I'm not understanding all those other cables you guys are talking about [​IMG])
    anyway, On my computer, I have a Hercules GameTheatre XP which has an excellent breakout box which has 6.1 output and gold plated everything. 2 optical and 2 coaxials. The sound quality is excellent (for a computer setup) and I wanted to spend upto $50 on a cable that would run through my house to the HT setup 2 floors down.
    one of you guys said RCA would work, so I'll try that when I find time to grab the cables.

10. SamRoza

"RCA" iosn't a cable...it's a connector. There are many different cables that you can put an RCA connector on. Several options have been suggested. Crestron, Monster and other shielded cables, Quad-shielded RG-6 Coax with regular F-connectors(the kind on your TV Cable line), or you can solder RCA plugs onto it.

Not just "RCA" cables though, because most will be lossy. You need shielding to go 100'.

Sam

11. Bernard L

oh I get it now... it's so much clearer.
    I use to always call cables by what the connectors look like [​IMG]

12. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

100' of cable would represent quite a bit of capacitance. I wonder if a computer's sound card would be able to drive such a load. You could certainly try it, and I would recommend buying RCA connectors from Radio Shack and cable from somewhere (I don't know what the good options are) and building your own RCA interconnect. 100' of brand-name interconnect would be a little expensive just to see if it works, IMO. Of course, if you have the option to return it in case it doesn't work, then that's a non-issue.

I would also recommend that you look into using a digital cable - probably coax. If that works, I think that would give you the least degradation.

13. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    We’re getting conflicting messages from you, Bernard. First you said:

14. Bernard L

oh sorry, let me clear things up

my GTXP has:

2 coaxial

2 optical

6 RCA (front L/R, real L/R, centre, sub)

1 headphone (which can be converted to rear centre surround channel)

15. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Uhhh Bernard. Why are you doing this?
    I hate to spoil the experiment, but I see 2 possible reasons you could be doing this:
    DVD Drive on the computer - Ok, you run a long run of RG6 coax from the Coaxial Digital output to your dad's HT receiver. You put in a DVD in the computer, fire it up and now the receiver can play the DVD movie sound track....
    But you have to watch the video on your computer screen 2 floors away. That one digital cable only carries the audio, not the video.
    And to run 100' of video cables.... well lets just say that buying a $180 DVD player and just putting it next to the HT receiver will be cheaper.
    CD Drive on the computer - Ok, you run a long run of RG6 coax from the Coaxial Digital output to your dads's HT receiver. You put in a CD in the drive, fire up some software and start playing.
    You have a 50/50 chance of not hearing any music from the HT receiver. Your card/break-out box may NOT send the CD music to the digital connectors. Since it has those 6 analog RCA jacks, they may expect you to hook up with an analog connection. This means you need to run 2 cables from the Front L/R jacks to the L/R inputs on the HT receiver. And this is way beyond the suggested length for a analog cable.
    An inexpensive Walkman-style CD player is looking better and better.
    Or are you just trying to play pirated MP3 songs on your dads HT system?

16. SamRoza

Bob,

I've never had any trouble with my Creative Digital break-out box for DVD, CDs or MP3s...why would he? All I use is Quad Shielded Monster RG6 for Audio these days, but I used to use Fiber and Svideo of my DVD.

Sam

17. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sam,

Bob’s point was that it seemed silly to send the audio to the HT receiver when the computer screen is upstairs. Unless you’re saying the coaxial line will carry both audio and video?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

18. SamRoza

Why would I say something like that Wayne? Just as I said in my post, I use Coax for Audio. The OP also says he wants AUDIO. WHy would any of us assume otherwise?

Sam

19. Bernard L

yups, I just want my music.

cuz the stereo system connected to my computer is 'ultra low-fi'.

and I've yet to decide which HT system to purchase for my computer setup, so I would at least like to hear some good music in the mean time.

20. JoshFink

JoshFink Auditioning

You will have no problem doing what you want to do, I do it myself and actually drive 3 pairs of speakers all over the house from one Soundblaster Audigy Soundcard.

If you want to send the signal to the receiver with a digital coax in, just buy an F - RCA convertor from Radio Shack and run the cable from your sound card to your receiver.

You should have no problems at all.

Josh