What's new

need legal advice... (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
We recently had a tornado come thru here with the front part of our roof damage. Nothing major but some shingles did blow off. Most if not all contractors say that we have to have the whole roof replaced, shingles and the other stuff like ice and snow cover or whatnot. The insurance adjuster says they would only cover the front half. Thing is, the resale value of this home would go down because of half the roof being old. Are we right to ask them for the whole roof or is the insurance right on this? I've read it could be a thing called bad faith. If we r right and they refuse this, I would have to get a lawyer to settle this.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
The adjuster is just the lowest rung of the food chain.......his job is to minimize what's paid out. Get a couple of estimates to have the job done properly and see if the contractors can include reasoning in their bid to support the contention that the entire roof needs to be replaced for structural integrity. Getting an attorney involved will likely draw out the process, but you may end up having to go that route anyway. If the roof can be made sound by only repairing the damaged areas, then that's all you're likely to be compensated for. If the storm had blown out a couple of windows they wouldn't pay to replace them all. If a pipe breaks, flooding an area of the house, they'll pay to repair the damaged floors/walls, etc but it's up to you to repair the pipe.

If you reach an impassee with the adjuster, try getting your agent involved.....can't hurt.

Good luck

Mort

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
The roof is 15 years old.
Thanks for the advice. I will be calling a firm here about it..at least get an idea if we do have a case. The firm does free consult...at least that's what they say....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks