What's new

Need JVC DVD owner's opinions.... (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
... I know little to nothing about these players. What i'd like to get from some of the owners here are opinions. If you could i'd appreciate the following information:

Player Model
What do you think are JVC strengths and weaknesses
How do you compare them to brands like: Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer, Sony and the like rating (picture quality, audio quality, CD playback, DVD-Audio Playback, ease of use)
What special features does your player have and do you like/dislike them?
Are there items such as "bit-rate"meters and "time remaing"?
Do you recommend?

I thank you in advance for all responses.

Sincerly,

David

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I have a JVC 75GD which does DVD, DVD-A, CD-R/RW, MP3. It has built in DD/DTS decoders(which I never use), progressive scan outputs, coax and optical digital outs.
Have had it for about 6 months now and love it to death. Had a few minor issues with it, like not liking to load discs, but I did buy it open box. The main feature besides progressive scan that I got this DVD player for was scaling. Since I have a TV that locks into full mode on progressive signals, the player will reformat nonanamorphic and 4:3 material so that it appears undistorted on the screen. It even makes nonanamorphic material (Abyss, Office Space) appear to be anamorphic. The only other player that does this that I know of is the Panny RP91, which is out of my price range.
Supposedly other players have better progressive pic quality, which I have looked at, but the scaling feature is too important to me, since I have a fair ammt of 4:3 material to watch.
You can get a 7disc version of this player for under $300 now too!

george king

Supporting Actor
I have the newer 500 series player. I got it for $160, but have seen it for cheaper. Great player - wonderful progressive picture, no chroma bug. Have not had a single problem, except with the disc High Fidelity.

Hope this helps.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I have two mini-reviews of my JCV 502SL here on the HTF:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...175#post871175
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...466#post996466
The second one is quite a bit more critical as I am comparing it to the Panasonic RP-91 (and there's really no comparison).
One other thing I should mention is build quality: JVC doesn't really have it. The player weighs about as much as a paperback novel and mine, after about 6 months of abuse, is starting to radomly freeze-up in the middle of playback on some titles.
Basically, I would recommend the JVC as an essentially disposable progressive-scan player which happens to perform far beyond what it should for the money (albeit perhaps not for long).
-Lyle J.P.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I've got the 75GD as well. It's ok - I got it because mine is modded for multi-region and it's progressive scan - and about the cheapest I could find one that does this. It's ok, but I'd prefer something nicer. The build quality is kinda poor and I don't like the ergonomics. I've owned:
* Panasonic A310
* Toshiba SD-6200
* JVC 75GD
* Sony DAV-S300

so far, the JVC is my least favorite ergonomically and will probably look to replace it as soon as I can find a player with zero latency layer switching (that's not a HTPC) and probably sacd/DVD-A capable. I may not wait though, as my player started having problems last night reading my Macross disc. Quite annoying - it plays fine on my PS2.

All in all, it's a decent budget player with a great picture & sound. However, I think great picture & sound can be found on lots of players these days (my opinion, of course) and would really like something better ergonomically, as I find that important. To each his own of course - I'll still keep it for multi-region for the time being though.

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
i've had the 95GLD (7 disc changer) for over a year with no problems.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the remote - this is by FAR the best DVD player remote I've ever used. it is very well laid out, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks