What's new

Need input on Panasonic TU-HDS20 (1 Viewer)

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I saw a Panasonic TU-HDS20 DirecTV receiver (w/ HDTV tuner)at a local Best Buy today with a standard shelf tag (pre-printed; not a handwritten open-box tag) showing a price of $199. I think this is an older receiver, but can that price be right? I've been researching this model tonight on the web and it sure seems like a good deal. Thanks for any input.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
For the price it's a good buy!
A bit slow if surfing, but has many output options.
You can also send it out to have some updates done.
Or have Panny send you out a refurbished unit free of charge in exchange for the new unit you purchased.
You will find a wealth of info at AVSForum about this stb.
Jerry

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Does anyone know whether the "Satellite in" coax connection could be used for cable coax instead? I'd want to run my cable box output through the Panasonic, with the antenna input to its other coax connection, and use the component out from the Panasonic to the TV. Would this screw up the de-scrambled digital cable signal?

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
NO! The SAT COAX input is 13-18Volts HOT to feed the lnb out at the dish.
I would not try it, Also that input is not tied to a tuner other then direct tv sat.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
As stated previously, I stopped by a local Best Buy the other day to browse, wandered down the DirecTV aisle, saw lots of big numbers on price tags; also saw a standard pre-printed shelf tag showing a price of $199.99 for the Panasonic TU-HDS20. Didn't know what to make of it, and the only clerk in the area seemed clueless, so I went home and researched it on the web. It's an older receiver (2001?), apparently originally listed for approx. $1,000.00. Looks like they're going for 300-400 on eBay right now. Anyway, looked like a killer deal for a decent HDTV tuner (I'm not a DirecTV subscriber) to tide me over until technology improves/prices drop/# stations available increases. I went back today; it was still there, so I talked to a (different, more knowledgeable/helpful) clerk, and he told me that model has been discontinued and the display was the one for sale. No manual/cables, just the box and remote. He knocked off 10% more("open box"), so I bought it. I've got it hooked up to my Panasonic 53WX42 right now -- it's doing the auto channel scan with the RCA ANT200 amplified indoor antenna I bought. I'll update on that, but just wanted to give a heads-up in case anyone wants to check their local Best Buy. Who knows, you might find the same deal.

Here's a 2001 fairly detailed review/comparison of this unit alongside a Zenith model:

http://www.projectorexpert.com/Pages/dtvsettop.html

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Well, antennaweb.org indicates I really need a rooftop/attic antenna to bring in any of the 11 HDTV signals possibly within reach, but the RCA ANT200 did manage to lock onto one of the four truly local HDTV signals. It's an NBC affiliate, and the picture is amazing. I'll try again tomorrow to snag the other 3 locals. If I can't, maybe a more powerful amplified indoor antenna before I try to climb up to the attic/roof? Since all of the 11 are UHF (14+), I'm thinking maybe the Silver Sensor would be a good pick, although I also saw more powerful RCAs at Best Buy (ANT1250?). Anybody have a suggestion here? Thanks for any input.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I really should have started a separate thread about the antenna, but I would really appreciate any recommendations in that regard. Thanks again for input on the receiver!

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I'm doing the trial and error thing right now; the RCA ANT200 locks onto the NBC HD signal, and with the amp turned off, I found that it will identify, but not lock onto, the (closer) ABC HD signal. Weird. I found an open-box Terk TV55 at Best Buy; it locked onto the NBC signal but lost it periodically. It wouldn't even ID the ABC signal, with or without amp on. I also found an open-box Zenith Silver Sensor (passive UHF) at Best Buy; for some reason it could barely tune the NBC signal (in/out), nothing with the ABC signal. I found the RCA ANT1250 at Wal-Mart for @$5 more than I paid at Target for the ANT200, so I'm taking the first 3 back and will try the ANT1250 next. If only freaking Comcast would intro HD in my area. Poopy. Thanks again for any tips/stories about this receiver and/or antennnas (ae?).

Found the ANT1250 at Wal-Mart for $35 (vs. $60 at Best Buy; vs. $30 for the ANT200 at Target); hooked it up and immediately snagged the ABC affiliate (it also locks on the NBC signal). Wow! I know I shouldn't be too excited about picking up only 2 HD signals, but it is pretty satisfying nonetheless.

John S Choi

Agent
I bought TUHD-s20 at Bestbuy also for $99.00 no remote or DirecTV card. I called DirecTV got the card for $25.00.
I sold My RCA DCT-100 and I am using The Panny. Panny is
not fast as RCA when it comes to turning performance.
Other than this issue I am happy with this purchase. It gets all the OTA in L.A. I tried indoor ANT. but I strongly
recommand outdoor ANT. I have ordered SAT C LNB kit from DirecTV for $8.75 for Showtime HD capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks