NEED INPUT , LCoS vs DLP

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jon Musil, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Jon Musil

Jon Musil Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering a new set for my HT. Could anyone provide insight on the new offerings from Philips (44PL9773) and Samsung (HLN437W)? Or any other LCD based set that will fit into a 31" x 43.5" x 25" built in enclosure. BTW, does anyone know the dimensions on the Philips? The model isn't even listed on their own the PhilipsUSA website!

I've heard there can be problems with LCoS longevity, etc, but that Philips' new sets may have overcome the problems.

Any thoughts on what kind of improvements the 2nd generation DLP (w/ DNIe) from Samsung is?

Thanks for any and all input!

2. Jon Musil

With over 50 views should I assume, even in this knowledgeable group, that nobody has any input on these models or issues?

Maybe I could get some feedback on the first generation Samsung DLP sets since the new model hasn't been out long at all.

Once again, if not specific to these models, perhaps someone could point me to some good review sources for LCD/DLP/LCoS sets. Thanks!

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

4. Andrew*W*S

Andrew*W*S Auditioning

The Philips will not fit in your enclosure. They've put the speakers on the sides adding quite a few inches to the width of the set. You can find info at (this is a url, but I'm not one of the chosen who can post urls):

cineos.philips.com

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The Samsung DLP units have been getting a lot of good press. Many stores cannot keep them in stock (Frys, BestBuy).

If you follow this link to Extreme Tech: Samsung takes the crown, you will find a good article about the Samsung. But you also get a link to an interview with Gary Merson, Senior editor of "The Perfect Vision" where he comments on the various technologies. He seems to prefer the LcOS units over the others.

6. Jon Musil

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm going to go check out the info/links now.

Jon

7. Jon Musil

Andrew,

Did you see dimensions on the 44inch LCoS set? If so could you post them? I can't seem to find any specific information on the site about it and a search returns nothing.

Despite the speakers I was hoping that it would fit because the 46" Samsung fits with 2.4" in width to spare. Thanks!

8. Jon Musil

Well I finally the found dimensions on the Philips LCoS tv on ONE CAll. Unfortunately, Andrew you were right, it won't fit in my enclosure. Not entirely that is...

I was thinking if the set along the top and side edges is fairly thin depthwise, I could overlap the face of the enclosure roughly 1.6" a side and .7" at the top and it might just look like a flat panel hung on the wall!

I did see the Samsung today and if the Philips is similarly constructed I think it would work very well.

The more I think of it the better I like it! In fact, I think it might look better than being set in the enclosure! Although it is after 3am and I'm a zombie right now! Thanks for all the input guys I'm off to dream about my new HT!

Jon

9. Andrew*W*S

Andrew*W*S Auditioning

Jon, I have more info for you but can't post it here due to the stupid limitations on posting URL's. Now I know why I don't visit here very often. Someone had a chance to check out the 44" model and put together a nice little web site with pictures, brochurs and a write up. Send me an email at [email protected] and I'll send you the link.

10. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

I suppose you are probably talking about this review.
    Andrew, you don't need to be "chosen" to post a URL. Just use the "http://" button which will prompt you for a link label and a URL. Or learn the bulletin board's script language, type (url)www.somesite.com/somepage.html(/url) or (url=www.somesite.com/somepage.html)mylabel(/url), except use [] instead of ().

Standard HTML markup also works on this board.

11. Andrew*W*S

Andrew*W*S Auditioning

Thanks Stephen, I sent him the link in an email but that is the review that I'm referring to.

When I attempt to post a link, I am told that I have not posted enough messages to post a link. The error mentions something about people posting links to another forum (AVS, I'm guessing). All I wanted to do was share the 77degrees link!

12. Jon Musil

Andrew thanks for the links.

I just went through a 13 page thread on another site regarding the Philips Cineos LCoS TV. At the very end a guy who works for tweeter said the release date on the 44 inch sets, not the 55's, was just postponed until October!!! Makes me wonder about new product quality issues!

I was hoping to make my new TV and speaker purchases all together on August 8-9th as Showcase is having a private sale with discounts store wide and 15 months no payment/interest on those two days! I'm really bummed about the delay because I don't want to pull the trigger on another set, Sammy DLP, until the Philips is out and I can compare it head to head and hear some knowledgeable reviews.

Darn this is frustrating enough looking for speakers to match my new receiver purchase, but couple that with the TV research and what went into the receiver and I'm getting permanently/terminal bloodshot eyes and a serious case of frustration! AARRRRRGHHH!!!!

Thanks for the listen, sorry for the rant!

Jon

13. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Admin Note: We had a flury of people coming over from another fourm and sign up. Then they proceded to do little but post links back to that fourm. This 'schoolyard' behavior forced us to include a rule that prevented new posters from providing links in their posts.

I'm sorry it prevented you from providing legitimate responses to the poster.

John - My advice: STOP!

Part of this hobby that is often over-looked is ANTICIPATION. Do not be in a all-fired rush to buy something. Spend the time to research, study, learn. After you do this and make your selection, you will LOVE your new equipment because you know all the issues and trade-offs.

Most of us have bought equipment, then later had some or a lot of buyers remourse. If we had only found this fourm, done more research, waited a few months, ... etc.

Slow down, take your time and dont force it. If it becomes a pain, get away for a while. Eventually, your choice will become clear.

14. Jon Musil

Thanks for the words of wisdom Bob. You have obviously learned that through trial and error. I'll try to restrain my enthusiasm and adopt your philosophy.

I'm much more comfortable with my research and the state of technology in speakers, so they are a go this week.

Since I'm in the process of "constructing" my first real 5+ channel HT, I'm sure this group will understand why I wanted to take advantage of the sale and its terms and upgrade the TV NOW!!!

Thanks again!

Jon

15. Andrew*W*S

Andrew*W*S Auditioning

Jon,

I have a friend who owns a home theater store. He has not been able to confirm the delay of the Philips LCOS sets. His distributors don't know a thing about it (the delay). I've contacted a few vendors and all have stated that they should be shipping in late August. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed as far as the release date is concerned. I've read a few threads where people were under the impression that the LCOS sets would be available in late July, early August. That's never been the case.

I'm considering two sets, the Samsung 437W DLP and the Philips 44" LCOS. If you can believe it, I've been shopping for a TV for over 6 months. I've been watching HDTV on my ten year old Panasonic for the last month since I haven't been able to pull the trigger on a TV.

About your enclosure... you'll need ventilation for both the Philips and Samsung sets. Both have internal fans to keep the color wheels cool. Keep that in mind when you consider "flush" mounting either of them.

16. Jon Musil

Thanks Andrew. Could there possibly be any more varied (mis)information about these LCoS sets?

My salesman from Showcase H.E. just told me today that he had also heard the larger Philips was going to be arriving in 2-3 weeks but the 44" wasn't going to be until later.

He also mentioned he and the other employess were going to be getting training on the sets from Philips within the next two weeks. He said he would work it out if I wanted to be present for the training/demos! If that actually happens I will be sure to post my impressions of the Philips Cineos here immediately.

At least I'm not suffering alone!

Jon [​IMG]

17. John KG

John KG Auditioning

There is a ton of information on the Philips Cineos sets on the Philips web site. You can even download the owners manual. I have a deposit on a 55PL977S at Tweeter--hope it shows up some day! I'm told a new shipment is due in the Atlanta warehouse by end of September 2003. A review of the 55" Cineos is available online at Sound & Vision Magazine.

18. Percell

Percell Extra

Hello
    I am new to the site but I do own the 2nd gen Samsung 43 inch TV. I have mine on a BDI stand. I really do enjoy the set. Keep in mind I just bought it about three weeks ago. I have HD hook up (through Comcast) and it is outstanding!!

19. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Sound & Vision magazine just did a review of a RPTV, a DLP, and a LCoS set for comparison. If I recall correctly, they liked them in that order but the DLP definitely had some advantages over the RPTV. The LCoS set they were not so impressed.

20. John KG

John KG Auditioning

From the reviews I've read, none of the reviewers are very happy with any of the new technology (LCoS, DLP, and especially LCD) RPTVs. But unless you want to pay $8000-$10,000 for a plasma HDTV monitor (and even those sets have numerous issues), or purchase a 300 lbs behemoth which will never produce perfect color convergence or the clarity of the new technologies, you are stuck with either getting a less than perfect new technology set or waiting till they get better. Even "The Perfect Vision" guys, who loved the Toshiba 3-panel LCoS, admitted it had serious contrast and black-level issues and weighs 300 Lbs so you even lose that advantage. And while they have apparently cut the price on the Toshiba, it was all I could do to talk my wife into purchasing a $4000 Philips Cineos, don't think she would be too happy with a $5500 Toshiba. The 55PL977S weighs 84 lbs and will fit on the TV stand currently holding my 130 Lbs Samsung 30" (tube) HDTV Monitor. Try that with a CRT RPTV. The new technology RPTVs tend to have better viewing angles than CRT RPTVs which, in addition to size/weight, poor viewing angle was a key reason I did not seriously consider getting an RPTV until now.